Old Photo

Hi I just joined the group but I recently found this photo which I believe could be a group of civil war veterans. Looks like they may all be wearing GAR ribbons . If anyone knows anything about old photos or anything else I would appreciate the info .
AA1F2C6E-8AA7-478A-B6C0-4684B64EAAA7.jpeg

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Hi and welcome! Glad you've joined us! I'm not an expert, but I'm sure that those who are will be along shortly.

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy. Although I am not an expert the photo to me looks like a reunion of some kind? Hard to tell from the photo.
I took it with me to Gettysburg earlier this year and ask at one of the antique shops they thought that it may be a GAR group but I’m not %100 sure . And thank you for the welcome.

Kurt G

Sergeant
Welcome from Michigan . I've got a poor image of my Great-great grandfather at a GAR meeting in the 1920s and the members were all wearing civilian clothing .

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. The photo is so grainy that it is hard to see just what they are wearing but what they are wearing is a lot bigger that any GAR ribbons I have seen. Be sure to stop by the Weapons & Ammo, Uniforms & Relics and Vicksburg forums. Be sure to check out our annual get together "CWT Invades Vicksburg". Hope you can joins us. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/cw...tour-the-official-thread.155709/#post-2006411

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Welcome to the forums from the host of the Stonewall Jackson Forum!

Welcome from Michigan . I've got a poor image of my Great-great grandfather at a GAR meeting in the 1920s and the members were all wearing civilian clothing .
Thank you . It a mystery I may never solve but I will keep trying .

Kurt G

Sergeant
This is from the Wisner post in Bad Axe , Michigan , 1921 . My Great-great grandfather was Mitchel LaBute , but he is at the extreme left and not very visible . He was in the 39th NY. There seems to be a few different sizes of badges or ribbons .

Image (61).jpg

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host
welcome2.jpg
And from the Four-footed Friends of the Civil War forum.
t168517_65.gif

I'm afraid your photo does not look G.A.R. to me. The ribbons are not the usual style, none of the men is wearing anything resembling a G.A.R. uniform (which in many cases is not too different from a civilian jacket). More significantly, none of them seems to be wearing a G.A.R. member's lapel pin or badge.

Most of the men in the last picture (post #12) appear to be wearing G.A.R. uniform jackets, and lapel pins and/or ribbons.

This is from the Wisner post in Bad Axe , Michigan , 1921 . My Great-great grandfather was Mitchel LaBute , but he is at the extreme left and not very visible . He was in the 39th NY. There seems to be a few different sizes of badges or ribbons .

View attachment 315782
Very helpful . What do you think of my photo ? Do you think it could be GAR ?

And from the Four-footed Friends of the Civil War forum. View attachment 315781

I'm afraid your photo does not look G.A.R. to me. The ribbons are not the usual style, none of the men is wearing anything resembling a G.A.R. uniform (which in many cases is not too different from a civilian jacket). More significantly, none of them seems to be wearing a G.A.R. member's lapel pin or badge.

Most of the men in the last picture (post #12) appear to be wearing G.A.R. uniform jackets, and lapel pins and/or ribbons.
That’s very helpful thank you .

I'm thinking it probably isn't , but it sure is interesting .
Thank you ! I think I need to look into GAR ribbons . I think the picture is from the 1890’s and i have seen ribbons made just for a local reunion and some seem to be wearing 2 ribbons . I will keep looking into it I only payed a dollar for the picture so if it’s not GAR no big loss .

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!