Old Guns Used In Civil War Back Home On Lookout Mountain

USS ALASKA

Captain
1561557001483.png

photo by John Shearer

Old Guns Used In Civil War Back Home On Lookout Mountain
Wednesday, June 19, 2019
by John Shearer

Some old 19th century musket guns had once stood abandoned and neglected in a Lookout Mountain cave, but they later became quite sought after.

And now, to add a likely final conclusion to the story, six of the nine are back home on Lookout Mountain for all to see – nearly 90 years after they went a number of decades when basically no one probably saw them.

As those who frequent the Lookout Mountain, Tenn., Town Hall know, a nice display case has been erected in the entrance hall in recent weeks showcasing them and offering some historical information.

The guns – which are considered muskets instead of rifles because their barrels did not have irregular grooves inside to shoot straighter bullets -- are on long-term loan from Lookout Mountain Fire and Police Chief Charles “Chuck” Wells.

Full article with pics can be found here - https://www.chattanoogan.com/2019/6/19/392198/Old-Guns-Used-In-Civil-War-Back-Home.aspx

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Glad to see they found a home. There are still 3 more out there somewhere that were also in the cave. Charlie did a great job in tracking down these 6. These guns were issued here in Demopolis and he and I had a chance to talk and I sent him some photos of all the gun parts that I found in the camps here. The condition of these guns was the reason I found all the parts as they were swapping parts in order to make a serviceable weapon.
cellphone 098.jpg
DSCN2652.jpg
IMG_20151117_113145721.jpg

1561558501009.png

IMG_20151118_151136502.jpg

They were issued to 37th and 55th Alabama regiment which was in Moore's Brigade.

WEEKLY ENTERPRISE
{Vol 4 No. 44}
Thursday, July 31, 1902

HISTORY
Of 37th Ala. Regiment.

November 1, 1863
- Again, following the rules engagement of the Civil War, the 37th Alabama is declared officially "exchanged." It is reorganized at its parole camp near Demopolis, Alabama. The scattered elements of the regiment are ordered to return and to reform. The only weapons available to the men of the 37th Alabama at Demopolis are antiques - muskets - which have previously been condemned as unfit for military service. Yet they are issued anyway. To add insult to injury, there is not even enough muskets to supply each man in the unit. There is only a meager supply of ammunition available, as well, and much of it is even the wrong caliber for the available weapons.

The pitiful weapons the regiment had been issued at Demopolis, Alabama, previously condemned for drill only, and not fit for battle had failed miserably in the fight at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge. More than 100 years later, an explorer on the mountain found a cache of antique muskets, many still loaded due to over-sized ammunition being crammed down the narrow barrels.
Here are 3 from the cave from years ago before Charlie started rounding them up.
cave guns.jpg

On Feb. 26, 1864, Col. John Snodgrass of the 55th Alabama reported 405 present for duty. The effective total had risen to 421 by March 17, 1864, not counting ten members absent without leave since Jan. 20, 1864, or officers and men paroled at Vicksburg who were still in exchange camps at Demopolis. The 55th Alabama Regiment reenlisted for the duration of the war on Mar. 11, 1864.

While stationed at Demopolis, Ala., the regiment received new issues of arms, equipment and clothing. On Mar. 31, 1864, Lt. Col. Norwood requisitioned three thousand cartridges for .58 caliber rifles (possibly .577 British Enfields) and two thousand rounds for .69 caliber muskets. It appears that the 55th Alabama was midway through an armament upgrade from antiquated percussion muskets to the more modern rifles.

Ive had the opportunity to hold all of them and sit down with Charlie at the Brandon show. I had his attention when I showed him all the gun parts I found in CS camps at Demopolis, they were all over the place. I sent him a bunch of photos of them all.

How fascinating! Finding stuff like that is what I dream of!
I think a heckuva lot of us share your dream. I always thought I'd find my treasure while crawling in the attic. My house is the right age, but too many people were in the attic ahead of me! But...WOW...just imagine crouching and going back into a cave and...wait!...what's that?!...what an amazing experience that must have been!

When Chuck Harris was talking about the muskets being cut down, did he mean during the Civil War or before? I'm unclear on why they would do that, can someone please explain?

There are several reasons. Cavalry soldiers would cut them down for a short musket to use on horseback also, most of these guns were smooth bore musket, if they was a problem at the end of the barrel they would just cut them down. I have read reports of troops here wrapping the 58 round ball with leaves so it would seat in a 69 cal barrel and not roll out.

How fascinating! Finding stuff like that is what I dream of!
While cleaning out my Mother's attic, I came across a mirror that I remembered hanging in my Grandmother's house and while cleaning it; I found a stamp that it was made in 1929. I felt as though I was on Antique's Roadshow.

Last edited:
While cleaning out my Mother's attic, I came across a mirror that I remembered hanging in my Grandmother's house and while cleaning it; I found a stamp that it was made in 1929. I felt as though I was on Antique Roadshow.

Decades ago, I got *Tom Sawyered* into helping a "friend" (blue falcon) whitewash the attic gables of a rowhouse his folks had just purchased. Dusty ancient bricks, warm summer day, un-ventilated attic....

In between the rafters was 1) a 1930s linoleum sample booklet, 2) a Czarist Russian-era passenger liner ticket book, (other things, now forgotten) and a roll of blueprints for a Baldwin Mikado Locomotive (I got those in exchange for my sweat).

And yes, the whitewash job looked marvelous.

Back