Old-Fashioned Mulled Wine Jelly Candies

(Pinterest)

The holidays are just around the corner and homemade candies are still in style as gifts for friends and neighbors. They also make great hostess gifts. So get your Victorian on and make some tasty treats for gift-giving this year!

Old-Fashioned Mulled Wine Jelly Candies

Ingredients:
1 cup dry red wine
4 orange peel strips (3x1 inches each)
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup powdered fruit pectin
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/3 cups sugar
1-1/3 cups light corn syrup

Coating:
1/4 cup sugar

Eleanor's notes: No one will tell if you sip a little wine while you're making these candies. You can also substitute white wine in place of the red. I prefer to use red wine in the cooler months and white wine in the warmer ones. Also, a little Sinatra playing in the background adds to the ambiance. :wink:

@Anna Elizabeth Henry, @donna, and @christian soldier, I think you would enjoy these.

Last edited by a moderator:
These sound delicious! Might be better (and maybe a little safer) than my Christmas rum ball recipe, which involves heavy sampling of the rum!

But what would Christmas be without rum balls @MaryDee? I bet the ones you make are wonderful! Imagine if we all got together for a candy-making social and made mulled wine jellies and rum balls. We might be a little tipsy by the time we actually made a quality batch. :giggle:

But what would Christmas be without rum balls @MaryDee? I bet the ones you make are wonderful! Imagine if we all got together for a candy-making social and made mulled wine jellies and rum balls. We might be a little tipsy by the time we actually made a quality batch. :giggle:
I miss my mother-in-law's bourbon balls. They were delish.

Ellie. I love this recipe. It sounds so refreshing. Thanks for sharing the recipe with the food forum. Donna. I would like to nominate this recipe for a food forum award. By the way, Miss Ellie, what Sinatra song or songs are your favorites? I like several of his songs including, "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Fly Me to the Moon" and of course, his classic: "I Did It My Way." My father met Sinatra in the 1960's while on a business trip in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, with his death, another Sinatra will never be found in this modern period of so called music. What a shame!!! David.

Ellie. I love this recipe. It sounds so refreshing. Thanks for sharing the recipe with the food forum. Donna. I would like to nominate this recipe for a food forum award. By the way, Miss Ellie, what Sinatra song or songs are your favorites? I like several of his songs including, "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Fly Me to the Moon" and of course, his classic: "I Did It My Way." My father met Sinatra in the 1960's while on a business trip in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, with his death, another Sinatra will never be found in this modern period of so called music. What a shame!!! David.

Thank you David! I love the Sinatra songs you mentioned, but please add "I’ve Got You Under My Skin", "Pennies From Heaven", "It Had to Be You" and of course, "I Get a Kick Out of You" to the playlist. :smile:

Oh I love Frank Sinatra songs. I have many of his albums. Loved his movies too.

My Mom meet him when she was a teenager. He was just starting out and was performing in New York City. She and her best friend didn't go to school and went to see him. She was always a fan.

As David says, there will never be a singer like Frank Sinatra.

Oh I love Frank Sinatra songs. I have many of his albums. Loved his movies too.

My Mom meet him when she was a teenager. He was just starting out and was performing in New York City. She and her best friend didn't go to school and went to see him. She was always a fan.

As David says, there will never be a singer like Frank Sinatra.

I'm a big fan of Sinatra. I have his Nothing But the Best album on my iPhone. My favorite from him is Bewitched and Summer Wind. I agree, you won't find someone like him again. It just wasn't the singing, I think it was his whole persona that made him special. He had that unique swagger.

Kind of like Sean Connery and Roger Moore as James Bond, they had the right kind of swagger to pull the role off. The current Bond, Daniel Craig doesn't cut it, he's missing something.

Back to the topic at hand - they even have wine jelly these days, too - https://www.brecksgifts.com/product...PDAqiWaBXW-UcwJuHyuci0HM9MZKsJPgaAiovEALw_wcB

Merlot jelly on your bagel anyone? :cool:

About three years ago I bought my wife the book "Abraham Lincoln in the Kitchen" due to her interest in Civil War era foods, and she loves to now make stuff when she has time. I told her about this recipe, last night she took it on, and this was the result. Not bad. jelly.jpg

Back