Authentic Old-Fashioned Mulled Wine Jelly Candies

Eleanor Rose

1st Lieutenant

(Pinterest)

The holidays are just around the corner and homemade candies are still in style as gifts for friends and neighbors. They also make great hostess gifts. So get your Victorian on and make some tasty treats for gift-giving this year!

Old-Fashioned Mulled Wine Jelly Candies

Ingredients:
1 cup dry red wine
4 orange peel strips (3x1 inches each)
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
3 whole cloves
1/2 cup powdered fruit pectin
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/3 cups sugar
1-1/3 cups light corn syrup

Coating:
1/4 cup sugar

Directions:
In a small saucepan, combine wine, orange peel, juice, cinnamon stick and cloves. Cover and bring to a steady simmer. Do not boil! Reduce the heat and continue to simmer uncovered gently for 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour.

Line a 9x5-in. loaf pan with foil. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Strain wine mixture, discarding orange peel and spices. Return mulled wine to saucepan. Stir in pectin and baking soda. Heat over medium-high heat.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar and corn syrup. Bring it to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in wine mixture. Continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam. Immediately pour into prepared the pan. Let stand until set, approximately 5 hours.

For the coating, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar over a 14x12-inch sheet of parchment paper. Invert the candy onto the sugar. With a knife dipped in warm water, cut the candy into 1-inch squares. Coat with remaining sugar.

Transfer the candies to a wire rack and let stand, uncovered, at room temperature overnight. They can be stored in airtight containers up to one week.

Eleanor's notes: No one will tell if you sip a little wine while you're making these candies. You can also substitute white wine in place of the red. I prefer to use red wine in the cooler months and white wine in the warmer ones. Also, a little Sinatra playing in the background adds to the ambiance. :wink:

@Anna Elizabeth Henry, @donna, and @christian soldier, I think you would enjoy these.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Eleanor Rose

1st Lieutenant
These sound delicious! Might be better (and maybe a little safer) than my Christmas rum ball recipe, which involves heavy sampling of the rum!
But what would Christmas be without rum balls @MaryDee? I bet the ones you make are wonderful! Imagine if we all got together for a candy-making social and made mulled wine jellies and rum balls. We might be a little tipsy by the time we actually made a quality batch. :giggle:

Anna Elizabeth Henry

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Silver Patron
But what would Christmas be without rum balls @MaryDee? I bet the ones you make are wonderful! Imagine if we all got together for a candy-making social and made mulled wine jellies and rum balls. We might be a little tipsy by the time we actually made a quality batch. :giggle:
I miss my mother-in-law's bourbon balls. They were delish.

Ellie. I love this recipe. It sounds so refreshing. Thanks for sharing the recipe with the food forum. Donna. I would like to nominate this recipe for a food forum award. By the way, Miss Ellie, what Sinatra song or songs are your favorites? I like several of his songs including, "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Fly Me to the Moon" and of course, his classic: "I Did It My Way." My father met Sinatra in the 1960's while on a business trip in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, with his death, another Sinatra will never be found in this modern period of so called music. What a shame!!! David.

Eleanor Rose

1st Lieutenant
Ellie. I love this recipe. It sounds so refreshing. Thanks for sharing the recipe with the food forum. Donna. I would like to nominate this recipe for a food forum award. By the way, Miss Ellie, what Sinatra song or songs are your favorites? I like several of his songs including, "The Way You Look Tonight" and "Fly Me to the Moon" and of course, his classic: "I Did It My Way." My father met Sinatra in the 1960's while on a business trip in Philadelphia. Unfortunately, with his death, another Sinatra will never be found in this modern period of so called music. What a shame!!! David.
Thank you David! I love the Sinatra songs you mentioned, but please add "I’ve Got You Under My Skin", "Pennies From Heaven", "It Had to Be You" and of course, "I Get a Kick Out of You" to the playlist. :smile:

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Oh I love Frank Sinatra songs. I have many of his albums. Loved his movies too.

My Mom meet him when she was a teenager. He was just starting out and was performing in New York City. She and her best friend didn't go to school and went to see him. She was always a fan.

As David says, there will never be a singer like Frank Sinatra.

Anna Elizabeth Henry

2nd Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Oh I love Frank Sinatra songs. I have many of his albums. Loved his movies too.

My Mom meet him when she was a teenager. He was just starting out and was performing in New York City. She and her best friend didn't go to school and went to see him. She was always a fan.

As David says, there will never be a singer like Frank Sinatra.
I'm a big fan of Sinatra. I have his Nothing But the Best album on my iPhone. My favorite from him is Bewitched and Summer Wind. I agree, you won't find someone like him again. It just wasn't the singing, I think it was his whole persona that made him special. He had that unique swagger.

Kind of like Sean Connery and Roger Moore as James Bond, they had the right kind of swagger to pull the role off. The current Bond, Daniel Craig doesn't cut it, he's missing something.

Back to the topic at hand - they even have wine jelly these days, too - https://www.brecksgifts.com/product...PDAqiWaBXW-UcwJuHyuci0HM9MZKsJPgaAiovEALw_wcB

Merlot jelly on your bagel anyone? :cool: