1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 c milk (or less)

APPLE BUTTER FILLING
2 c apple butter
3/4 c brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter, cut in chunks

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease or spray with oil several 8-inch cake pans, skillets, etc.

2. FOR CAKE: Mix first four ingredients. Stir flour together with baking powder, soda, salt, and nutmeg. Stir vanilla into milk. Add flour and milk to liquid ingredients, blending well. Turn out on floured surface and knead like a biscuit dough.

3. Divide dough into 7 portions. Roll out on wax paper to fit greased 8-inch cake pans. You may have to bake in batches. Bake until done and very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Layers do not need to cool before assembling.

4. FILLING: Stir together apple butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Bring just to boiling. Remove from heat and stir in the butter until it melts completely.

5. Place first cake layer on cake plate that has a cover. Spread hot filling between cake layers, stacking 7 high. Smooth some filling over top of stack and let drip slightly down sides.

Cover and allow to set 12 hours before serving. May sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving if desired. Or, top of stack may be decorated with little red hot cinnamon candies.

6. NOTE: Layers may be frozen with wax paper in between, and filled later.

http://www.justapinch.com/

As I mentioned on another thread, I know a lady that makes this cake. Has been over 30 years since I tasted it, but still remember how good it was.

Stack cakes were really popular in Kentucky. My Granny made them.

Thanks for post. I am under the weather today. My husband been sick for days. He got to doctor Thursday and now has several prescriptions. It a cold and sinus infection. So thanks to all for posting on the Food Forum.

I was reading about stack cakes and found this recipe for Kentucky Stack Cake. It is a recreated one from Civil War Era. It is like one my Granny made.

Kentucky Stack Cake

4 cups flour, shifted
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
fruit filling

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt three times into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; mix until smooth. Divide into 6 parts. Roll each part out on a floured board to fit a 9 inch pan; place in pans. Bake in hot oven (450 degrees) until brown. Cool, remove from pans. Spread filling on each layer; stack layers. Let stand for a day for a moist cake.

This much like diane's recipe but one from Kentucky where stack cakes were very popular.

Here is recipe for fruit filling for the Kentucky Stack Cake:

1 lb dried apples
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice

Cover apples with water; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. While apples are hot, add remaining ingredients. Stir well until sugar dissolves.

This is like a recipe my mother used to make called "Vinerterta". It was given to her by a friend whose husband was from Iceland, and it was an old family recipe of his family.
You made 8 layers of a shortbread type of dough and then put it together with a date/prune filling. it was then wrapped tightly and put away for a few weeks to mellow. Absolutely divine! I haven't made it in years, as my family doesn't care for dried fruit, but I can still remember it. YUMMMMM!

It has been years since I've had an apple butter stack cake.

I wonder how it would taste f you used peach butter or pear butter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back