Old Cassville Story telling October 14, 2017

Stiles/Akin

Sergeant Major
22532087_1908474639479715_1037866756_o.png

22550937_1908474499479729_1741107248_o.png
22553814_1908475119479667_1813730283_o.png
22561135_1908474606146385_946459312_o.png

Love the photos ! That looks like a great time.

Natchez, Mississippi has a similar event each November, Angles on the Bluff in the historic City Cemetery.
Each of about ten stops are complete with music, theatrics and when possible . . . actual family members portraying the dearly departed.

There are so many interesting, historical and quite frankly eccentric people buried in this cemetery that each year has been different since the tour's inception almost twenty years ago.

Last edited:
Ours at Forrest Cemetery in Gadsden is this Sunday October 22 from 2-4:30pm.

As usual, I will portray Minnie Lay Myers. She is/was the sister of William Patrick Lay, founder of the Alabama Power Co. Jody will portray her husband, Henry Myers, who coincidentally hails from Cassville Ga. Minnie is also the ghost of the Gadsden Public Library.

If anyone is in the area, be sure to stop by and hear the stories of 72 of Gadsden's most interesting citizens. http://forrestcemetery.com/clients/
21761990_10211771450094361_299378908741129817_n.jpg

Last edited:
Ours at Forrest Cemetery in Gadsden is this Sunday October 22 from 2-4:30pm.

As usual, I will portray Minnie Lay Myers. She is/was the sister of William Patrick Lay, founder of the Alabama Power Co. Jody will portray her husband, Henry Myers, who coincidentally hails from Cassville Ga. Minnie is also the ghost of the Gadsden Public Library.

If anyone is in the area, be sure to stop by and hear the stories of 72 of Gadsden's most interesting citizens. http://forrestcemetery.com/clients/
View attachment 161982
Ya'll look great ! :thumbsup:

Ya'll look great ! :thumbsup:
Awwwww Thanks. It's a lot of fun to tell their story.

Of course you can tell by the outfits....Minnie and Henry were just children at the time of the Civil War, but to tie the story to the CW.....Minnie's father was Captain Cummins McBride Lay. Not a military Captain - a steamboat captain.

In May 1864, Union forces threatened to occupy Rome, Georgia, upstream from Gadsden. Two steamboats were docked there on the Coosa River – the Laura Moore and the Alphfretta. To prevent the boats from being captured, the crews raised steam and headed south under cover of darkness. Captain Cummins McBride Lay piloted the Laura Moore and would do what no other pilot had done before - or since. Taking advantage of flood waters, he would navigate the Laura Moore all the way down the Coosa River, where he turned her over to Confederate authorities at Mobile, AL. His success in steering the Laura Moore through the dangerous rapids of the Coosa is recognized as possibly the most daring exploit ever attempted on any Alabama river.:D

Awwwww Thanks. It's a lot of fun to tell their story.

Of course you can tell by the outfits....Minnie and Henry were just children at the time of the Civil War, but to tie the story to the CW.....Minnie's father was Captain Cummins McBride Lay. Not a military Captain - a steamboat captain.

In May 1864, Union forces threatened to occupy Rome, Georgia, upstream from Gadsden. Two steamboats were docked there on the Coosa River – the Laura Moore and the Alphfretta. To prevent the boats from being captured, the crews raised steam and headed south under cover of darkness. Captain Cummins McBride Lay piloted the Laura Moore and would do what no other pilot had done before - or since. Taking advantage of flood waters, he would navigate the Laura Moore all the way down the Coosa River, where he turned her over to Confederate authorities at Mobile, AL. His success in steering the Laura Moore through the dangerous rapids of the Coosa is recognized as possibly the most daring exploit ever attempted on any Alabama river.:D

I'm just waiting on your thread & looking forward to your video.
I know you will share a video of Minnie and Henry. :smoke:

These photos show that we absolutely need the Reenactors' PotM contest! There are several photos that definitely speak to me. If this was the contest, I would have difficulties voting for just one.
@ami is currently asking if the Reenactors' PotM, initiated by @bdtex should be continued.
@Stiles/Akin and @lelliott19 just showed us more than a dozen arguments that clearly say "YES" !!

Are there any remnants of the positions or entrenchments in this area when Johnston faced Sherman?

As far as I have been able to tell there are no remaining works there. If there are they are certainly on private land. The army was only there for a day and a half before falling back even though it was one of the strongest positions that Johnston had.

That cemetery contains the grave of Confederate General William T. Wofford, the guy in my profile pic, who was from Cassville, served in the state legislature, and worked hard to advance the town of Cassville to little avail.

Back