"Oh, don't your heart ache for our dear boys?"

lupaglupa

Major
Forum Host
A letter written by Ruth Swett Mayhew, a nurse working in City Point, Virginia for the Maine Camp Hospital Association.

RuthMayhewLetter.png

Mayhew was born in Maine in 1822. After her husband's death in 1856 she worked as a teacher in Portland. In July of 1863 she left Portland to become a nurse in field hospitals provided for the regiments from Maine. She stayed working through the end of the War, entering Richmond with the troops. After the War she worked for a few years as a teacher on a reservation in Kansas. She died in Maine in 1875 and is buried in Rockland.

"...raspberry vinegar"
Does anyone know why vinegar was so prized? My g-grandmother took a tablespoon of vinegar every day. She treated it like medicine. In my family vinegar was the preferred seasoning for half the vegetables we ate. We used it instead of butter.

"...raspberry vinegar"
Does anyone know why vinegar was so prized? My g-grandmother took a tablespoon of vinegar every day. She treated it like medicine. In my family vinegar was the preferred seasoning for half the vegetables we ate. We used it instead of butter.
Raspberry vinegar is still believed to have health benefits: https://www.findhomeremedy.com/health-benefits-of-raspberry-vinegar/. This past weekend was our historical society's annual barn sale; one of the items for sale was raspberry vinegar! It is said to be capable of doing everything from hair restoration to weight loss to aiding in indigestion. It's been around for a long time so there may be something to these claims. 😋

Down here in Texas, a bottle of chili piquins in vinegar is common on many tables. The peppers grow wild, so they're usually easy to come by. And it's about the only way one can use them, since they're 5 to 8 times hotter than jalapenos.
Ouch! Once I accidentally bit into a jalapeno in a salad: it cured my migraine (instantly) but I swore to eat nothing hotter than a dill pickle after that! Chili piquins may be tasty to Texans--but this Mainer admits to being a culinary whimp and is sticking to milder food! 😂

Ouch! Once I accidentally bit into a jalapeno in a salad: it cured my migraine (instantly) but I swore to eat nothing hotter than a dill pickle after that! Chili piquins may be tasty to Texans--but this Mainer admits to being a culinary whimp and is sticking to milder food! 😂
My husband can't/won't eat anything spicy. He says he has an "Anglo-Saxon stomach." I love spice so I have to add it after cooking. We go through a lot of bottles of tabasco to keep me happy :smile:

Back