• Carter, John C.
  • Dearing, James
  • Jenkins, Micah
  • Kelly, John Herbert
  • Pegram, William*
  • Pender, William Dorsey
  • Ramseur, Stephen Dodson
* from this wikipedia list

Looks a lot less dead than the Union had but many Confederate generals were older than 30 years when they were killed or mortally wounded.

When do I get drubbed? :unsure:
Paging @lelliott19 and/or @OldReliable1862 - @ErnieMac wants a drub-- oops, sorry, a dubbing! :D

Paging @lelliott19 and/or @OldReliable1862 - @ErnieMac wants a drub-- oops, sorry, a dubbing! :D

When do I get drubbed? :unsure:

Only two people in the entire world have that power.
Oh wow! @ErnieMac has always been one of my heroes here at CWT. I dont even know how many times he had helped me out with South Mtn info. I would never dream of "drubbing" him. But I am honored to dub him!

I , lelliott, being an officer in good standing <ahem cough> of the famed and ever valiant Knights of Edisto hereby dub thee, @ErnieMac a Knight of Edisto!

Arise, brave knight, and go forth to honor all the "boy generals" and young officers who gave their life for the cause for which they fought: the intelligent and zealous young Brigadier General Micah Jenkins, the gallant Major John Pelham, and the courageous Colonel Isaac Avery, of the CS Army. The valiant Lieut. Willie Grout (the youngest Union officer killed in the Civil War,) the fearless Bvt. Brigadier General Henry Livermore Abbott, and the heroic Lieutenant Alonzo Cushing (honored a century and a half late,) of the US Army. And all the other young men, noted for feats of courage, who committed to the cause in which they believed, gave their lives while so doing. Arise, my brave knight, and go forth!

Okay, okay, I got this. If wooden nutmegs is w, and real nutmegs is n, the equation we set up is (0.0025)(w)+(0.04)(n)=44.00, and (0.0025)(w)=3.75. You solve the second equation by dividing 3.75 by 0.0025, and you get 1500 wooden nutmegs...wait, did I do this right?
This was bugging me, so I took this to my algebra teacher, and apparently I managed to get it right! :dance:

Last edited:
This was bugging me, so I took this to my algebra teacher, and apparently I managed to get it right! :dance:
That is so great. In the name of the gallant Pelham and the Noble Jenkins, you deserve three salutes for that!
:cannon::cannon::cannon:
Now all lets celebrate @OldReliable1862 and his gallant algebra teacher. :dance:
It appears I'm not worthy of the D.H. Hill Fan Club. :notworthy: :cry: But I still like maths! And D.H. Hill.

Apparently - from https://civilwartalk.com/threads/brigadier-general-micah-jenkins.92555/#post-1912760:
In honor of the 'Prince of Edisto', I would like to ask the officers of the Official D. H. Hill Fan Club, @lelliott19 and @Nathanb1, approve the creation of an organziation to be called the 'Knights of Edisto' in honor of the Confederate "boy generals" like Jenkins.
Anyone else who wishes to join the Official D. H. Hill Fan Club or the Knights of Edisto, please see either myself, @lelliott19, or @Nathanb1 to have the proper initiation ceremonies conducted.
and membership in the Official D. H. Hill Fan Club requires no especial mathematical problem solving skills. :giggle:
But neither officer @lelliott19 nor @OldReliable1862 have inducted me when I asked for membership - now I know why. :frown:

The attached link leads to a biography of Brigadier Charles Russell Lowell, Federal cavalry brigade commander mortally wounded in the final actions at Cedar Creek at the age of 29 on October 19, 1864. Lowell was a member of a prominent Massachusetts family for which the city of Lowell was named. One uncle was the poet James Russell Lowell. Lowell, himself, and member of his family were noted abolitionists. His wife, Josephine Shaw Russell, was the sister of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry.

At the beginning of the War, Charles gave up his business interests to obtain a commission in the 6th U.S. Cavalry. He would later recruit and organize the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry, serving as its colonel until his death. Lowell commanded a cavalry brigade in the 1864 Shenandoah Campaign. Philip Sheridan and Edwin Stanton made it a point to see that he was posthumously promoted to the rank of brigadier general. Lowell's daughter and only child, Carlotta Russell Lowell was born a little over a month after his death.

http://charlesrusselllowell.blogspot.com/

Back