Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
-EVENT RESCHEDULED-
Follow this link to the new event:​

We would like to invite you to join us for the CWT Spring Muster, to be held at Shiloh Tn. May 1st thru 3rd 2020. We have an AWESOME weekend planned that includes a CW weapons firing where member will actually be able load and shoot Cannon, Muskets and Pistols. Plus, We have a GREAT Team put together that includes myself @Ole Miss @16th Alabama @DixieRifles and @redbob The itinerary is below.

Also, as we have done before, we want to get our member involved. If you had relatives who fought at Shiloh we would all love to hear their story while we tour the park. We will be planning some side trips but those will be posted and planned in a separate thread. “Spring Muster Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the main trip thread. We look forward to see all that can make it and if you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

CivilWarTalk
Spring Muster May 1st - 3rd, 2020
“Bloody Shiloh”

itinerary
***NOTE: All side trips and planning for them with be posted in a separate Thread “Spring Muster Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the “Official” thread. We are looking at Iuka and of course Brice’s Crossroads and a few other spots.

Thursday April 30th​: (Early Arrivals Optional)

Check In 1:00pm Side Trip. Iuka or relic hunt.

AM Friday. May 1st (optional)​

Morning Side Trip. Brice’s Crossroads. Led by NathanB

PM Friday. May 1st​.
(Regular Arrivals)

12:00 pm: Official Kickoff: CWT Spring Muster. Gather in the War Room.

12:30 pm: Civil War Weapons Live Fire (blanks) Members will have the opportunity to load and fire CW replica Cannon, Muskets and Pistols.

3:00 pm: Visit railroad crossing in Corinth for a short presentation on why the Battle of Shiloh was fought. Shiloh NMP visitors center and National Cemetery presentation by OleMiss.

7:00 ish: Hagy’s Catfish Hotel for drinks and dinner.

Saturday. May 2nd

Saturday: 7:00 am. Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Go over the day’s itinerary.

Presentation: Shiloh Artillery by RedBob

8:00 am. Shiloh NMP All Day. We will be doing all 19 major tour stops and below are the member presentations. Stops 1 – 9 in the morning and 10 – 19 in the afternoon

Presentation: Mr. DeBerry, The battle begins.

Presentation: Mark Jenkins Pittsburg Landing Naval operations during the battle.

Presentation: OleMiss Confederate burial trench.

1:00 pm. Box Lunch at the picnic area. Give out tickets for drawing.

Lunch Presentation: Harms88 CS Generals Killed During The CW.

2:00 pm. till Dark. Shiloh NMP to include the Fallen Timbers area.

Presentation: 16th​ Ala Fraley Field, The CS approach.

Presentation: Harms88. Johnston’s death site. The death of Gen Johnston

Presentation: ucvrelics The Sunken Road, with special handout.

Presentation: NathanB Gen Forrest at Fallen Timbers

7:00 pm. Gather in CWT War Room.

7:30 pm. Members Dinner. Dinner Bell restaurant.

Sunday May 3rd​.
7:00 am: Gather in our CWT War Room for breakfast.

Presentation

8:00 am: Brock & Dujanna Thompson Gish Hill house Gen Johnston’s HQ

9:30 am: Corinth Interpretive Center and Battle of Corinth.

Presentation by ranger TomP

1:00 pm: Return to hotel, say our Goodbyes, checkout and go home.

Sunday Afternoon Side Trip

1:00 pm Crossroads Museum Corinth.

host hotel: hampton inn
2107 Highway 72 West, Corinth, MS 38834

Room Rate: $109.00 per night and if you have any other type discount AARP, Military, Veteran etc. they will honor that as well. Includes Free Breakfast each morning, Free WI-FI and parking are included.

RESERVATION Methods: For reservations call 1 662-286-5949 Reservations must be received by April 24, 2020 thereafter, reservations will be taken on a space available basis only at our rack rate of $125.00

PLEASE NOTE:
host hotel: hampton inn
You will have to call them to book your room at the discount ...
Be sure to tell them your with the CivilWarTalk group!
662-286-5949

GUARANTEE & PAYMENT: Individual credit cards are required when making reservations.

CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid charges to credit card.

We have a room block of 20 rooms for May 1-3 2020. We have it setup with a 48-hour cancellation so that you can book early to lock in your room and if something happens you can cancel at no cost.

ALL ROOMS BOOKED AFTER April 27th 2020 WILL BE BOOKED AT $125.00 per night. So, Book Your Room Early. If you are coming in early and or staying later, you will still get the $109 a night discount.

Links:

Hotel: Hampton Inn Corinth, Ms.

RV Park:

Corinth Gun Range & RV Park. corinthgunclubrvpark.business.site
just for @archieclement

Restaurants:

Hagy’s Catfish Hotel. www.catfishhotel.com
Dinner Bell. www.dinnerbellcorinth.com

Parks:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually going to start in Kentucky the Saturday before, and basically spend 5 or 6 days trip visiting sites in KY and Tennessee prior to the muster. Like I plan to hit the Lincoln and Davis birth sites besides such places as Perryville, Mill Springs and so forth. I'm also thinking of hitting up Andrew Jackson's mansion while I'm in Franklin visiting battlefields.
The Richmond Battlefield just South of Lexington, Kentucky is well worth the stop.

I'm actually going to start in Kentucky the Saturday before, and basically spend 5 or 6 days trip visiting sites in KY and Tennessee prior to the muster. Like I plan to hit the Lincoln and Davis birth sites besides such places as Perryville, Mill Springs and so forth. I'm also thinking of hitting up Andrew Jackson's mansion while I'm in Franklin visiting battlefields.
Your plans sound great! Hopefully we'll hear all about it when we get together :smile:

I loved Louisville in Kentucky when I visited. I was less about CW sites when I was there, but it was definitely one of my favorite cities.

Booked my flights for this trip yesterday. Now all that's left is anticipation!

Last edited:
It's starting to look like I might can make at least a brief appearance at this gathering.

However, like last year's Vicksburg muster . . . nothing is guaranteed.

( I've already contracted for some major home renovations starting in late March/early April).

I'm not sure if everything will be finished by the first week of May.

But this meeting looks to be a great time for all !
It's been way too long since I was in that part of the state, (and across the Tennessee border at Shiloh).
:smoke:

On a serious note:

I think some have said they have booked rooms in Jackson.
In all honesty, I hope that's Jackson, Tennessee.

Jackson, Mississippi is too far away and MUCH too dangerous.

And yeah . . . as a native of Jackson, Mississippi . . . I lnow what I'm talking about.

Not trying to be negative, only giving some honest travel advice.

Last edited:
Ah, nope! That would be Jackson, Mississippi ... I didn't know there was also a Jackson in Tennessee :laugh:

And yeah . . . as a native of Jackson, Mississippi . . . I know what I'm talking about.
:eek:

Good Lord ... I wasn't expecting that.

With three airports to choose from (NOLA, Jackson and Memphis) I went for the central one and it's a good base from which to extend my travels. It won't just be a three day stay for me, but rather a three week stay with much to take in and enjoy in that time. I hope!

Well, the flights are booked so I guess I will have to do some further research, but I have found a lovely place to stay in Jackson for at least some of the time I will be there.

Seeing how General Forrest is going to be re-interred on May 23rd, I'm curious. Does this do anything to the planned get together?
I doubt it, when the initial planning for the Shiloh gathering was done; the Forrest Re-Interrment wasn't yet on the radar.

It's starting to look like I might can make at least a brief appearance at this gathering.

However, like last year's Vicksburg muster . . . nothing is guaranteed.

( I've already contracted for some major home renovations starting in late March/early April).

I'm not sure if everything will be finished by the first week of May.

But this meeting looks to be a great time for all !
It's been way too long since I was in that part of the state, (and across the Tennessee border at Shiloh).
:smoke:

On a serious note:

And yeah . . . as a native of Jackson, Mississippi . . . I lnow what I'm talking about.

I realize that, just trying to see if this changes the equation at all.
I wouldn't think so, an advance party is going up this weekend on a recon and to finalize some things.

Then May may be one of the busiest and expensive months I've had traveling wise in a while. Oh well what must be done, must be done.
After having seen you in action, I would have thought that your motto would be " Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse". It's better than sitting on the porch and having regrets on things that you wish that you had done.

After having seen you in action, I would have thought that your motto would be " Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse". It's better than sitting on the porch and having regrets on things that you wish that you had done.

Hence why I said what must be done, must be done:D

Of course I reckon I'm already making myself unpopular with the funeral, but its something I'd regret the rest of my life if I didn't make it. For me there's just some family issues right now with my grandmother and her needing care, and me committing myself to this, and apparently the funeral, if I'm not outright banned from opinions of my views from some make me think it a possibility raising caution and fury seems to make me a rabidly anti-Forrest person.

This just stretches things to the point of me wondering "Can I make it happen?"

Hence why I said what must be done, must be done:D

Of course I reckon I'm already making myself unpopular with the funeral, but its something I'd regret the rest of my life if I didn't make it. For me there's just some family issues right now with my grandmother and her needing care, and me committing myself to this, and apparently the funeral, if I'm not outright banned from opinions of my views from some make me think it a possibility raising caution and fury seems to make me a rabidly anti-Forrest person.

This just stretches things to the point of me wondering "Can I make it happen?"
Family comes first, they will stand by you when no one else will.

Family comes first, they will stand by you when no one else will.

I gotta laugh at that....

Long story short, my family is the biggest bunch of backstabbers imaginable, with all adamant I'm the biggest idiot of the family because I read books and love history more than material objects or money. Only one I know of who wouldn't stab me in the back is my sickly grandmother and one cousin. Everyone else has misled or outright thrown me under the bus several times. I was raised to stand by family no matter what, but I've long since abandoned that where my family is concerned. I believe them an exception.

Funny example of my family and me, when a film director/screen writer asked me to go to screenwriting school several months back on his dime because he believes I have what it takes after working together, my mother was outraged. She was adamant it was a waste of time and money because I'm such an idiot, but he should go to my younger brother, who he doesn't know and she ain't seen in years. He can't even write his name, plus he's an unimaginative psychopath and my mother is still sneaking around trying to sabotage me at every turn.

And that's one of the least harmful to me stories I have of my family.

I gotta laugh at that....

Long story short, my family is the biggest bunch of backstabbers imaginable, with all adamant I'm the biggest idiot of the family because I read books and love history more than material objects or money. Only one I know of who wouldn't stab me in the back is my sickly grandmother and one cousin. Everyone else has misled or outright thrown me under the bus several times. I was raised to stand by family no matter what, but I've long since abandoned that where my family is concerned. I believe them an exception.

Funny example of my family and me, when a film director/screen writer asked me to go to screenwriting school several months back on his dime because he believes I have what it takes after working together, my mother was outraged. She was adamant it was a waste of time and money because I'm such an idiot, but he should go to my younger brother, who he doesn't know and she ain't seen in years. He can't even write his name, plus he's an unimaginative psychopath and my mother is still sneaking around trying to sabotage me at every turn.

And that's one of the least harmful to me stories I have of my family.
So much for that piece of old-timer's philosophy. :frown:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back