Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
-EVENT RESCHEDULED-
Follow this link to the new event:​

We would like to invite you to join us for the CWT Spring Muster, to be held at Shiloh Tn. May 1st thru 3rd 2020. We have an AWESOME weekend planned that includes a CW weapons firing where member will actually be able load and shoot Cannon, Muskets and Pistols. Plus, We have a GREAT Team put together that includes myself @Ole Miss @16th Alabama @DixieRifles and @redbob The itinerary is below.

Also, as we have done before, we want to get our member involved. If you had relatives who fought at Shiloh we would all love to hear their story while we tour the park. We will be planning some side trips but those will be posted and planned in a separate thread. “Spring Muster Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the main trip thread. We look forward to see all that can make it and if you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

CivilWarTalk
Spring Muster May 1st - 3rd, 2020
“Bloody Shiloh”

itinerary
***NOTE: All side trips and planning for them with be posted in a separate Thread “Spring Muster Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the “Official” thread. We are looking at Iuka and of course Brice’s Crossroads and a few other spots.

Thursday April 30th​: (Early Arrivals Optional)

Check In 1:00pm Side Trip. Iuka or relic hunt.

AM Friday. May 1st (optional)​

Morning Side Trip. Brice’s Crossroads. Led by NathanB

PM Friday. May 1st​.
(Regular Arrivals)

12:00 pm: Official Kickoff: CWT Spring Muster. Gather in the War Room.

12:30 pm: Civil War Weapons Live Fire (blanks) Members will have the opportunity to load and fire CW replica Cannon, Muskets and Pistols.

3:00 pm: Visit railroad crossing in Corinth for a short presentation on why the Battle of Shiloh was fought. Shiloh NMP visitors center and National Cemetery presentation by OleMiss.

7:00 ish: Hagy’s Catfish Hotel for drinks and dinner.

Saturday. May 2nd

Saturday: 7:00 am. Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Go over the day’s itinerary.

Presentation: Shiloh Artillery by RedBob

8:00 am. Shiloh NMP All Day. We will be doing all 19 major tour stops and below are the member presentations. Stops 1 – 9 in the morning and 10 – 19 in the afternoon

Presentation: Mr. DeBerry, The battle begins.

Presentation: Mark Jenkins Pittsburg Landing Naval operations during the battle.

Presentation: OleMiss Confederate burial trench.

1:00 pm. Box Lunch at the picnic area. Give out tickets for drawing.

Lunch Presentation: Harms88 CS Generals Killed During The CW.

2:00 pm. till Dark. Shiloh NMP to include the Fallen Timbers area.

Presentation: 16th​ Ala Fraley Field, The CS approach.

Presentation: Harms88. Johnston’s death site. The death of Gen Johnston

Presentation: ucvrelics The Sunken Road, with special handout.

Presentation: NathanB Gen Forrest at Fallen Timbers

7:00 pm. Gather in CWT War Room.

7:30 pm. Members Dinner. Dinner Bell restaurant.

Sunday May 3rd​.
7:00 am: Gather in our CWT War Room for breakfast.

Presentation

8:00 am: Brock & Dujanna Thompson Gish Hill house Gen Johnston’s HQ

9:30 am: Corinth Interpretive Center and Battle of Corinth.

Presentation by ranger TomP

1:00 pm: Return to hotel, say our Goodbyes, checkout and go home.

Sunday Afternoon Side Trip

1:00 pm Crossroads Museum Corinth.

host hotel: hampton inn
2107 Highway 72 West, Corinth, MS 38834

Room Rate: $109.00 per night and if you have any other type discount AARP, Military, Veteran etc. they will honor that as well. Includes Free Breakfast each morning, Free WI-FI and parking are included.

RESERVATION Methods: For reservations call 1 662-286-5949 Reservations must be received by April 24, 2020 thereafter, reservations will be taken on a space available basis only at our rack rate of $125.00

PLEASE NOTE:
host hotel: hampton inn
You will have to call them to book your room at the discount ...
Be sure to tell them your with the CivilWarTalk group!
662-286-5949

GUARANTEE & PAYMENT: Individual credit cards are required when making reservations.

CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid charges to credit card.

We have a room block of 20 rooms for May 1-3 2020. We have it setup with a 48-hour cancellation so that you can book early to lock in your room and if something happens you can cancel at no cost.

ALL ROOMS BOOKED AFTER April 27th 2020 WILL BE BOOKED AT $125.00 per night. So, Book Your Room Early. If you are coming in early and or staying later, you will still get the $109 a night discount.

Links:

Hotel: Hampton Inn Corinth, Ms.

RV Park:

Corinth Gun Range & RV Park. corinthgunclubrvpark.business.site
just for @archieclement

Restaurants:

Hagy’s Catfish Hotel. www.catfishhotel.com
Dinner Bell. www.dinnerbellcorinth.com

Parks:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted folks to know we selected May 1-3 CWT Shiloh muster. Shiloh can only be experienced in the spring and with all the other things going on in April this is the best date. We have assembled a great team of locals @Ole Miss @DixieRifles and @16thAL and in fact they are meeting this weekend in Corinth for some ground work. Wish I cold make but duty calls in Franklin and besides they what there doing as 2 of them were at Vicksburg. We are positive we can get a fantastic weekend planned by then. It will include Friday afternoon and all day Saturday in the Shiloh NMP and Sunday doing the battles of Corinth. I'm negotiating with the Hampton now and I'm pretty sure we will HQ there.

Uhhhh….

I don't want to rock the boat, but that weekend is usually the annual "Jefferson Pilgrimage" in Jefferson, TX. Big local reenactment myself and Tom are involved in. It'd be hard to get clear that weekend, for me more than Tom I'm sure. I can try to make it that weekend, it'd mean my annual Spring drinking binge around the fire with reenacting buddies would be torpedoed for the forth year in a row at Jefferson.

Uhhhh….

I don't want to rock the boat, but that weekend is usually the annual "Jefferson Pilgrimage" in Jefferson, TX. Big local reenactment myself and Tom are involved in. It'd be hard to get clear that weekend, for me more than Tom I'm sure. I can try to make it that weekend, it'd mean my annual Spring drinking binge around the fire with reenacting buddies would be torpedoed for the forth year in a row at Jefferson.
What battle occurred at Jefferson? I've never heard of it.

Mean While Back At The Range. We only had a few dates to deal with, you can only do Shiloh in the spring. With Easter, Tax week, we only 2 options.
Shiloh in the Spring when the battle was fought or
1575516836711.png

Shiloh in the winter
1575517086910.png

But anyhow, back to the matter at hand, I'm obviously biased on when to go so, I'll leave it up to everyone else to go the already said weekend or decide sometime else. I'll try to make it out regardless.

I must say, the folks I met at Vicksburg are definitely a big draw toward getting me down South again! And May is much more convenient for me schedule-wise than October. Technically I need to check my calendar but I can't think of any reason I won't be able to make it.

(No ancestors there. The 14th Ohio, including my great-great-grandpa, was basically at the tail end of Buell's column... but hey, there's a gunboat angle! :wink: )

but hey, there's a gunboat angle! :wink: )

I was hoping you would say that. Does that mean we can count on you for a presentation on how they got all those union troops to Pittsburg Landing and the role the gunboats played in the battle?

1576086281354.png

I was hoping you would say that. Does that mean we can count on you for a presentation on how they got all those union troops to Pittsburg Landing and the role the gunboats played in the battle?
I would be more than happy to talk that angle. Just need to figure out transportation... Corinth is sort of on the bubble for me in terms of "do I drive/do I fly?"
1576086318706.png

What battle occurred at Jefferson? I've never heard of it.
None, but since Jefferson is the only town in Texas that has "survived" in anything like wartime configuration and condition it's the logical place for a "local" reenactment:

YAAAAAY! Our only visit to Shiloh was hasty, on the way to the September to Remember in Gettysburg, so I am thrilled. Honestly, for me, getting to that area means I can also run up to Franklin and visit all the Forrest stuff--and possibly hit Leake County, MS for some more genealogy. Couldn't make it any better, guys...and I know you will make this an absolutely don't miss trip. Wow. I guess my Christmas gift has arrived! Waiting as long as I can to make sure there won't be any court dates interfering, but we definitely intend to go--and Neal's having back surgery soon, so he'll be able to walk! (And I just bought some nifty duck boots, so I can wade if need be!)

I've mentioned this event to our member @TomP who would be most likely to help with a visit to Corinth on Sunday morning.
I sent him a pm last week and didn't hear from him. 16thala is going see him Saturday

YAAAAAY! Our only visit to Shiloh was hasty, on the way to the September to Remember in Gettysburg, so I am thrilled. Honestly, for me, getting to that area means I can also run up to Franklin and visit all the Forrest stuff--and possibly hit Leake County, MS for some more genealogy. Couldn't make it any better, guys...and I know you will make this an absolutely don't miss trip. Wow. I guess my Christmas gift has arrived! Waiting as long as I can to make sure there won't be any court dates interfering, but we definitely intend to go--and Neal's having back surgery soon, so he'll be able to walk! (And I just bought some nifty duck boots, so I can wade if need be!)

Plus we do have a side trip planned for Brice's Crossroads. When do you want to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back