Official Thread CWT Muster "Bloody Shiloh" Sept 25 - 27, 2020

UCVRelics

Brevet Brigadier General
Forum Host
Gold Patron
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
Regtl. Quartermaster Stones River / Franklin 2022
If you're interested in going to this event, please RSVP in the module at the top of the thread! Get your RSVP in before September 10th!

We would like to invite you to join us for the CWT Muster, to be held at Shiloh Tn. September 25th thru 27th, 2020. We have an AWESOME weekend planned that includes a CW weapons firing where member will actually be able load and shoot Cannon, Muskets and Pistols. Plus, We have a GREAT Team put together that includes myself @Ole Miss @16th Alabama @DixieRifles and @redbob The itinerary will be posted below!

Also, as we have done before, we want to get our member involved. If you had relatives who fought at Shiloh we would all love to hear their story while we tour the park. We will be planning some side trips but those will be posted and planned in a separate thread. “Fall Muster Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the main trip thread. We look forward to see all that can make it and if you have any questions please feel free to let us know.

CivilWarTalk
Fall Muster September 25th - 27th, 2020
“Bloody Shiloh”

itinerary

UPDATE 08/23/2020
We had our final planning meeting yesterday and everything is shaping up to be a Great Muster. There have been a few small changes and the schedule reflects them. Due to social distancing we have moved a few of the presentaions outside to the Shiloh NMP. Everyone will receive mask and hand sanitizer (in order to meet state and federal requirements) along with ear plugs and safty googles for the weapons firing.

***NOTE: All side trips and planning for them with be posted in a separate Thread "Shiloh Side Trips” so as not to clog up the “Official” thread. We are looking at Iuka and of course Brice’s Crossroads and a few other spots.

Thursday September 24th: (Early Arrivals Optional)

Check In 1:00pm Side Trip. Relic Hunt on a special location where Gen Bragg's Division was.

AM Friday. September 25th (optional)​

Morning Side Trip. Brice’s Crossroads. Led by Rusk County Avengers

PM Friday. September 26th.
(Regular Arrivals)

12:00 pm: Official Kickoff: CWT Spring Muster. Gather in the War Room.

12:30 pm: Visit railroad crossing in Corinth for a short presentation by 16th Al on why the Battle of Shiloh was fought.

1:00 pm: Corinth Gun Club. Presentation by Tom Moss owner of the Mason Dixon Line museum. Civil War Weapons Live Fire (blanks) Members will have the opportunity to load and fire CW replica Cannon, Muskets and Pistols.

3:30 pm: Shiloh NMP visitors center and National Cemetery presentation by OleMiss.
Park video will be shown in the war room Sat due to social distancing and time.

7:00 ish: Hagy’s Catfish Hotel for drinks and dinner.

Saturday. September 27th

Saturday: 7:00 am. Breakfast in our CWT War Room. Shiloh NMP Video and the day’s itinerary.

8:00 am. Shiloh NMP All Day. We will be doing all 19 major tour stops and below are the member presentations. Stops 1 – 9 in the morning and 10 – 19 in the afternoon

Presentation: Mr. DeBerry, The battle begins.

Presentation: OleMiss Confederate burial trench.

Presentation: Shiloh Artillery. Ruggle's Battery RedBob will have a display of Shiloh shells and some from the guns used in the battle and OleMiss and RedBob will discuss the artillery at Shiloh.

1:00 pm. Box Lunch at the picnic area. Give out tickets for drawing.

2:00 pm. till Dark. Shiloh NMP to include the Fallen Timbers area.

Presentation: 16th​ Ala Fraley Field, The CS approach.

Presentation: UCVRelics, The Sunken Road, with special handout.

Presentation: Lelliott19, CS Hospitals & Medical

Presentation: DixieRifles, The fight at the Fallen Timbers.

7:00 pm. Gather in CWT War Room.

7:30 pm. Members Dinner. Taylor's restaurant.

Sunday September 27th.
7:00 am: Gather in our CWT War Room for breakfast.

Presentation

8:00 am: Brock & Dujanna Thompson Gish Hill house Gen Johnston’s HQ

9:30 am: Corinth Interpretive Center and Battle of Corinth.

Presentation by ranger TomP

1:00 pm: Return to hotel, say our Goodbyes, checkout and go home.

Sunday Afternoon Side Trip

1:00 pm Crossroads Museum Corinth.

host hotel: hampton inn
2107 Highway 72 West, Corinth, MS 38834

Room Rate: $109.00 per night and if you have any other type discount AARP, Military, Veteran etc. they will honor that as well. Includes Free Breakfast each morning, Free WI-FI and parking are included.

RESERVATION Methods: For reservations call 1 662-286-5949 Reservations must be received by September 15, 2020 thereafter, reservations will be taken on a space available basis only at our rack rate of $125.00

PLEASE NOTE:
You will have to call them to book your room at the discount ...
Be sure to tell them your with the CivilWarTalk group!
662-286-5949

GUARANTEE & PAYMENT: Individual credit cards are required when making reservations.

CANCELLATION POLICY: Cancel 48 hours prior to arrival to avoid charges to credit card.

We have a room block of 20 rooms for September 25-27, 2020. We have it setup with a 48-hour cancellation so that you can book early to lock in your room and if something happens you can cancel at no cost.

ALL ROOMS BOOKED AFTER September 15th 2020 WILL BE BOOKED AT $125.00 per night. So, Book Your Room Early. If you are coming in early and or staying later, you will still get the $109 a night discount.

Links:

Hotel: Hampton Inn Corinth, Ms.

RV Park:

Corinth Gun Range & RV Park. corinthgunclubrvpark.business.site
just for @archieclement

Restaurants:

Hagy’s Catfish Hotel. www.catfishhotel.com
Dinner Bell. www.dinnerbellcorinth.com

Parks:

Last edited:
I just finished the Blue & Gray Magazine issue on Brice's Crossroads. It was written by Ed Bearss. The article and maps are very good. Bringing the magazine with me on this trip. Even more excited about that battlefield visit. After seeing Rusk County Avengers' post about them being happy that we're coming, I am really feeling good about this side trip.
Last night I looked through a pile of B&G's I had beside the full bookcase in my living room - I found 2 on Shiloh (day 1 and 2) and one each on Corinth, Brice's Crossroads, and Tupelo. They're all packed now. Ed authored the issue on Tupelo too; you may be able to buy one at the Brice's visitor center where I think I got mine if you don't already have it.

Ed authored the issue on Tupelo too; you may be able to buy one at the Brice's visitor center where I think I got mine if you don't already have it.
I bought one at the Corinth Visitor Center in June 2017. I have all 5 of those B&Gs already packed too.

The troops begin to assemble. Safe travels today @Rusk County Avengers and Tom.

I'm gonna head over to Tom's somewhere between 12 and 2, and we'll start loading up, a lot later than either of us would like I expect.

Both of us seem to have last minute things to handle this morning. Up till Sunday the plan had been to leave today, but Tom has hinted we may wait till tomorrow morning, which I'd rather not and just get the six hour drive done and over with.

(Tom's the wise old man who'll wait a little while and be deliberate, I'm the nutcase who'll say "Screw it, lets get it done and over with!")

Also for the musket demonstration I plan to be in period cloths but it looks like I'll go bareheaded. My hats don't fit no more due to my "Pandemic Hairdo" coming done to my shoulders. Which is not CW period...

I've gone to the same place to get my hair cut for twenty years and they still ain't opened up yet.

The troops begin to assemble. Safe travels today @Rusk County Avengers and Tom.
I don't have time to elaborate, but I'm posting this at Mr. DeBerry's museum/shop just outside Shiloh, using his computer. I arrived last night about 7:30 pm at Corinth. This morning I went to the Corinth Visitor Center, took the trails to the Federal earthworks, and have driven to the park. It's about 1 pm, 65 degrees, and drizzly but little heavy rain. I'll try to tell more later!

Last edited:
I don't have time to elaborate, but I'm posting this at Mr. DeBerry's museum/shop just outside Shiloh, using his computer. I arrived last night about 7:30 pm at Corinth. This morning I went to the Corinth Visitor Center, took the trails to the Federal earthworks, and hyave driven to the park. It's about 1 pm, 65 degrees, and drizzly but little heavy rain. I'll try to tell more later!

Mr. DeBerry really is a stand-up guy!

The wife and I finally got our ducks in a row and will be coming to join the group. We’ve got our rooms and will arrive Friday around 12 noon.

My wife is wanting to sleep in Saturday morning and then take the car to go shopping somewhere in Tennessee. I’m hoping I might be able to hitch a ride with someone to Shiloh Saturday morning. If not, I’ll roust her early and have her drop me off! Anyhow I hope I find some takers....

Otherwise - See y’all Friday!

The wife and I finally got our ducks in a row and will be coming to join the group. We’ve got our rooms and will arrive Friday around 12 noon.

My wife is wanting to sleep in Saturday morning and then take the car to go shopping somewhere in Tennessee. I’m hoping I might be able to hitch a ride with someone to Shiloh Saturday morning. If not, I’ll roust her early and have her drop me off! Anyhow I hope I find some takers....

Otherwise - See y’all Friday!
You can ride with me.

DSC07272.JPG

Just a little preview of what's to come! Yesterday I started off from home about 9:30-10 am in drizzling rain that got heavier and heavier as I neared Texarkana. I stopped for a late breakfast and filled up the car before leaving Texas so drove pretty much straight across all of Arkansas, at times between Texarkana and the Hot Springs exit in blinding white-out downpours that made me very nervous! To relax somewhat, I stopped in North Little Rock at one of my old standbys, Cracker Barrel for a late lunch. Persevering, I continued from Little Rock, after which the rain let up back to the steady drizzle, on to Memphis. I'd originally intended to stop for the night around Forrest City or West Memphis, but I still had plenty of daylight so kept on. I arrived in Corinth around dusk, and was I glad and tired! Today I had NO schedule or plans, but made:

DSC07248.JPG

The Curlee or Veranda House in downtown was closed today and tomorrow but will be open this weekend; nearby I was pleased to see the Corinth Confederate Monument is still where it belongs:

DSC07250.JPG

DSC07253.JPG

Since we missed these when @mkyzzzrdet and I visited in June, 2018 I decided to explore the Federal trench remains northeast of Corinth. It was drizzly and around 61 degrees but not too bad.

DSC07258.JPG

DSC07261.JPG

Some pretty fall color along the trail to the earthworks; at least it wasn't beastly hot like it was here in June!

DSC07266.JPG

After I arrived I spent little time at Shiloh other than visiting with Steve @archieclement who hailed me in the parking lot, and in the bookstore, but before I left I walked through Shiloh National Cemetery where it was appropriately peaceful.

DSC07268.JPG

It was by now the middle of the afternoon, but I decided to press on to Savannah where I saw Grant's headquarters in the Cherry Mansion, Lew Wallace's position at Crump's Landing, then followed his route back to the battlefield where I rejoined Tenn. 22 leading back to Corinth.

DSC07275.JPG

Last edited:
Great Photos and I'm glad you arrived safely. We have a "Social Networking" member who has been task with our "Shiloh Muster Going Live" thread so that we can all post our photos and content to the same thread. See you in the AM.

Back