Officers of the Trans-Mississippi

My question is simple, how would an officer of the Trans-Mississippi have dressed. I know it was standard and almost completely jean wool for the enlisted. However, about the Officers, how great the range.
The commanding Officer of the 18th, was a Lawyer, Judge and Statesman who lived in Nacogdoches, a great import center in East Texas. He also had a home in Marshall. The commanding Officer of the 12th was a wealthy planter. I was wanting to know what your thoughts might me concerning their uniforms.
Here is a picture of Gen. King, he was a major when he started with the 18th, and was wounded at Mansfield La, promoted to Brig General. I noted that on his sleeves he had strips on the cuff similar to a naval officer and large stars. I have never seen this, maybe someone has who can advise more.
king.jpg

18th:

There were certainly standards in both militaries, but it doesn't look like they were strictly enforced. People like your Major King, for example, (and Custer, for another) were most likely wearing custom-tailored uniforms restricted only by the degree to which the standards could be stretched -- nothing to confuse the rank designation.

Better fitting, better material, better construction, sleeve braid, piping -- all could alter the look of the standard without exceeding it.

Just a thought.
Ole

Back