Officers of the Famous "Irish Brigade"

Mike Serpa

Major
From "The Civil War through the Camera," Part 7, 1912

IB.jpg

I have this 16 volume set on flash drive and should upload more photos to CWT. Many I've not seen.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Mike!

View attachment 94864
Thank you, Bill! Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you. I was surprised this thread made it to the home page. When I saw your post I realized today is March 17. Which gave me a clue to your photo! The Irish brigade Monument at Antietam.

Formed in November 1861, the Brigade was largely recruited in New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. Its initial regiments were the 69th, 88th and 63rd New York State Volunteers. Other units identified as part of the Brigade included the 29th Massachusetts, 116th Pennsylvania and 25th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiments. The Brigade fought in all of the major campaigns of the Army of the Potomac. It lost over 4,000 men during the war. This total is larger than the number of soldiers who served in the Brigade at any single time. Eleven Brigade members were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor. Of the Five Officers who commanded the Brigade, three were killed or mortally wounded. Colonel Richard Byrnes (Cold Harbor), Colonel Patrick Kelly (Petersburg), and Brigadier General Thomas A. Smyth (Farmville). The Brigade was mustered out in June 1865.
http://www.nps.gov/anti/learn/historyculture/mnt-ny-irish-brig.htm

Captain Clooney's Charge by Bradley Schmehl.

View attachment 75305
Excerpt from General Thomas Meagher's Official Report written following the Battle of Antietam:

HDQRS.(IRISH BRIG.) 2D BRIG.,
SUMNER'S CORPS, HANCOCK'S DIVISION, ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
In Camp on Bolivar Heights, Va., September 30, 1862.
Captain HANCOCK,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Division Headquarters.
CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following statement of the part which the brigade under my command performed in the battle of the Antietam:

For what occurred subsequently to my being carried away from the field I refer you, with proud confidence, not alone to my regimental officers, who remained on the field, but also to many eye-witnesses of superior rank who noticed the opportune action of the Irish Brigade on that day. But I cannot close this communication without specially mentioning the names of Capt. Felix Duffy, of the Sixty-ninth; Captains Clooney and Joyce, of the Eighty-eighth, who, after distinguishing themselves by unremitting assiduity in the discharge of their duties in their commands throughout a very long and very exhausting campaign, fell with their feet to the rebels, with a glow of loyalty and true soldiership upon their dying features.
I have the honor to be, captain, yours truly and respectfully,
THOMAS FRANCIS MEAGHER,
Brigadier-General, Commanding the Irish Brigade.

Excerpt from General Thomas Meagher's Official Report written following the Battle of Antietam:

HDQRS.(IRISH BRIG.) 2D BRIG.,
SUMNER'S CORPS, HANCOCK'S DIVISION, ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
In Camp on Bolivar Heights, Va., September 30, 1862.
Captain HANCOCK,
Assistant Adjutant-General, Division Headquarters.
CAPTAIN: I have the honor to submit the following statement of the part which the brigade under my command performed in the battle of the Antietam:

For what occurred subsequently to my being carried away from the field I refer you, with proud confidence, not alone to my regimental officers, who remained on the field, but also to many eye-witnesses of superior rank who noticed the opportune action of the Irish Brigade on that day. But I cannot close this communication without specially mentioning the names of Capt. Felix Duffy, of the Sixty-ninth; Captains Clooney and Joyce, of the Eighty-eighth, who, after distinguishing themselves by unremitting assiduity in the discharge of their duties in their commands throughout a very long and very exhausting campaign, fell with their feet to the rebels, with a glow of loyalty and true soldiership upon their dying features.
I have the honor to be, captain, yours truly and respectfully,
THOMAS FRANCIS MEAGHER,
Brigadier-General, Commanding the Irish Brigade.
Thanks for posting this.

On the Fighting 69th at Wikipedia are the regiments Civil War Songs including "The irish Volunteer"!

Last edited:
Currently reading this book. Love the cover.

511HK88126L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Attachments

• 511HK88126L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    511HK88126L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Anyone have any idea if the captain Clooney in that artwork above is related to the famous Clooney family?

Sorry @Mike Serpa, totally off topic but I couldn't resist when I read the words "famous Clooney family". A few weeks ago George and Amal Clooney had an appointment with our chancellor, Angela Merkel, while they stayed in Berlin for a film festival.
They talked about the worldwide refugee problem and the official announcement by Ms Merkel's speaker was:
"Ms. Clooney, a human rights attorney was accompanied by her husband, an actor".
:D

Back to this thread, I'm glad it came up again, I do enjoy it very much! Thank you!

Back