1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Officers of the 104th OVI

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Sscul2, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

IMG_0324.JPG

Hello everyone. Hoping you can help me. Does anyone know the names of the Officers of the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the picture above? I am trying to find out if Captain Daniel Merrill Stearns is pictured here. Any and all help is appreciated!

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Seduzal

Seduzal 2nd Lieutenant

Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina.
    Just wait a little while someone will be along to help you.

Sscul2 likes this.
  4. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Keeping my fingers crossed...sure could use the help!

5. Bruce Vail

Bruce Vail Sergeant Major

Is that a priest seated at right?

Have you compared the photo with the portraits in the regimental history?

https://archive.org/details/historyof104thre00pinn

Last edited: May 11, 2017
    Littlestown and lelliott19 like this.
  6. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

I tried that route and could identify a few of them. I have contacted the Massillon Museum and hoping they can shed additional light on these officers.

7. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Found out today that the last guy seated in the front row on the right is a Chaplain. His name is Chaplain Buel Whitney. I didn't notice that his uniform was different but you did!!

8. east tennessee roots

east tennessee roots 1st Lieutenant

Sorry, found 4 photos of enlisted men, no officers

Littlestown and Sscul2 like this.
  9. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Thanks anyway!

10. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

I'm sorry, I don't know the names of the men pictured, but I do notice that there are inked hand numbers on each man. So perhaps wherever the original is, there is a numbered list that corresponds with names?

Is your avatar a picture of Daniel M Stearns? If so, I would venture a guess that he is the man standing to the left rear (back row 2nd from right) numbered 21 of the hand inked marks.
    upload_2017-5-13_11-41-26.png

upload_2017-5-13_11-45-37.png
    EDIT TO ADD: The twinsornot.net app seems to agree for whatever that is worth. :D

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    Littlestown and Sscul2 like this.
  11. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Yes...my avatar picture is Daniel Stearns! There certainly is a definite resemblance. Thanks so much for pointing that out. Now...if I could just get verification!

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  12. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

Your avatar pic shows him with shoulder boards with the rank of 2nd Lt. The group shot of him does seem to indicate he has Captain's shoulder boards. The National Archives in D.C. will have his complete military records from date of enlistment, all his enlistment papers, muster rolls, discharge, pension records etc. If you look at my avatar, my ancestor seated at right is a 2nd Lt., the officer in the back middle is a Captain. So the avatar you have is an early image of Stearns and the group shot is later on when he was a captain. It's too bad that you can't really decipher the # written on him. It may be a "27" but it's hard to tell.....

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

You are absolutely correct. The avatar picture is of Daniel M. Stearns when he was a 2nd Lieutenant. I am not sure if this picture is from when he served with the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry or when he was with the 8th Pennsylvania Reserve Volunteer Corps. He was a 2nd Lieutenant for them as well. Sadly, I don't have any other pictures of him but this one. I did send for all his records from the National Archives for both the 8th PRVC and the 104th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Thanks so much for trying to help...much appreciated!

14. lelliott19

lelliott19 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

I would guess the id'd image is early - when he first enlisted and hadn't endured the rigors and privations of campaign. The group shot would seem to be later than the identified image you have. In the group shot, it looks like he has lost quite a bit of fullness in his cheeks and has a "hollowed out look." To determine if the id'd image is of his service in the 8th PA Reserves or the 104th Ohio, we would need to know more about the timeline....did he serve first as a 2nd Lt in the 8th PA reserves? And then as a 2nd Lt and Captain in 104th Ohio? Id bet on the id'd image being from whichever was his first assignment.

Also, I should have mentioned that the 100% result from the twinsornot.net app is pretty remarkable, considering the poor quality of the images used for the comparison. I had to blow up both to make them large enough to use and, in doing so, lost detail. Here are the two images at roughly the size I started with:
    upload_2017-5-14_12-34-52.png
    The crop image from the group shot didnt have much detail to start with, so I was surprised to get 100% result from such poorly detailed images. Additionally, looking at the eyebrows, the nose, the arrangement of the ears on the head, and the distance between the eyes and the "square" corner where the brow ridge meets the nose.....not to mention the hairstyle which is consistent down to the curls poofing over his ears.....I'm not am expert of any kind, but I think you can safely bet on finding that the group shot #21 is actually him.:thumbsup:

Good luck in your search for verification - and please let us know what you find.

Littlestown, Sscul2 and Bruce Vail like this.
  15. Koalabay08

Koalabay08 Cadet

Not sure if anyone mentioned above, but check out Civil War Index.com It tells you all about the regiments
    Just type in 104th OH regiment and click on Infantry Soldier Roster You may need to know what Company
    because it has them all

Littlestown, Sscul2 and lelliott19 like this.
  16. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Thanks so much for your help on this! Daniel served just over a year with the 8th Pa Reserves from April 1861 to May 1862 then he resigned, went home to Wellsville, Ohio and re-enlisted with the 104th OVI in August 1862 and remained until he mustered out in June 1865. The 104th OVI group picture is from 1864 so I think the avatar picture is from the fall of 1862 when he was with the 8th Pa Reserves as 2nd Lieutenant. I do think #21 is him...so many similarities.

Littlestown and lelliott19 like this.
  17. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

Best of luck with NARA. Unless you go there yourself and pull up the spools of microfilm and print everything out, it may take them a while to send you back everything and it's not free. All the ACW records are in D.C.

Later stuff like the SAW and WW1 are in St. Louis MO. All the WW1 army records were mostly destroyed in a major fire back in the '70's, the Navy stuff remained intact. I tried that endeavor with one of my great great uncles that was in the SAW and WW1 (Army) and those records are gone. Destroyed in the fire. His younger brother's naval career was something I did get from St. Louis fortunately. Neat stuff. Almost 300 pages mailed to me in an envelope that almost didn't make it to my mailbox before it fell apart. That took about 6 months in total and the fees were less than about $80.00. Everything from about 1900 to his death in the early '50's. I agree about gut feelings; I'm 99% sure that image #21 is the same man as your avatar.

Littlestown, lelliott19 and Sscul2 like this.
  18. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

You are right when you say it isn't free. Keeping my fingers crossed it won't take too long to get them. I like your gut feeling!

lelliott19 likes this.
  19. JPChurch

JPChurch Private

NARA in DC might not take as long as St. Louis does. A friend of mine that used to work in the microfilm dept. back in his early years with NARA in DC got my records for me. That was REAL nice of him. That was back in the mid 80's. He's still with NARA but is not in the microfilm dept. any longer. Too bad, I coulda pulled the records up for you.....

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    Sscul2 likes this.
  20. LoyaltyOfDogs

LoyaltyOfDogs Sergeant

Hello, @Sscul2, I've enjoyed watching your progress in your search for Daniel Stearns and wish you continued good luck! Is he an ancestor of yours? I have no information to share, unfortunately, but I've read a bit about Daniel Stearns' dog Harvey, who became a mascot of the 104th OVI. Do you know if Daniel Stearns ever wrote about Harvey? If so, I hope you'll considered sharing his account in Civilwartalk's new "Four Footed Friends of the Civil War" forum. It would be a great addition to the other references to Harvey that are there.

Littlestown, lelliott19 and Sscul2 like this.
  21. Sscul2

Sscul2 Private

Thank You! I know bits and pieces as well about Harvey...Daniel Stearn's dog. As I learn more I will definitely share in the "Four Footed Friends of the Civil War" forum. It's a great forum about the dogs that served in the Civil War. Enjoy reading it!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)