This photograph shows the officers of Rutledge's Battery, Co A First TN Light Artillery. It was taken at Watkin's Park, Nashville in the latter part of May 1861, just after the battery was mustered in. The cannons for this battery were cast at Brennan's Foundry at Nashville and consisted of four 6 pounder smooth bore guns, and two 12 pound howitzers. During the first year of the war the battery took part in several engagements and two notable battles-Mill Springs, or Fishing Creek and Shiloh. The officers here shown from left to right, starting with the upper row are: Frank Johnson, George W Trabui, Jack B Long, James C Wheeler, E.T. Falconet, A.M. Rutledge, Joe E Harris, George E Purvis, J.P. Humphrey, J. Griffith, and M. S. Cockrill. Three of the officers in this picture Falconet, Rutledge and Cockrill were promoted. Captain Rutledge was promoted to be major or artillery and was assigned to duty on the staff of General Leonidas Polk. First Lieutenant Falconet became a captain in the cavalry service and Second Lieutenant Cockrill was appointed First Lieutenant and was assigned to duty in the ordnance department. Hence because of heavy losses the battery was merged at the expiration of the year for which it had enlisted, with McClurg's Battery, and its history after that time is the history of that battery."
THE PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF THE "CIVIL WAR" IN TEN VOLUMES
Frances F Miller-Editor in Chief-The Review of Reviews Co