Officers of 8th New Jersey

neyankee61

Corporal
Since I found so much help on the 6th NJ I decided to ask for some more help. Officers of the the 8th NJ. Same request background info

Col Adolphus Johnson- original colonel of regiment, badly wounded at Williamsburg, reported died. Did not.
Lt Col Thomas Martin- original lt. colonel resigned 12/19/1861
Major Joseph Trawin- original major lt col 2/24/1862 resigned July 7 1862
Peter Ryerson- major killed at Williamsburg

Bob Velke

Corporal
Official Vendor
You're looking for records of their military service or their genealogy/family?

neyankee61

Corporal
Just looking for their background like place of birth date of birth where living before the war occupation. Just enough to round out their lives before joining regiment

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
Peter M. Ryerson:
Son of Martin and Frouch (VanWinkle) Ryerson, born 17 June 1798. He lived in Pompton NJ where, with his father and brothers, operated iron works and where he was very involved in church activities. In 1758 or 9 he moved to Newark where [apparently] he was commissioned into the Union army 9/27/1861 as a captain--NJ 8th (Co. A). Promoted to major 2/4/1862. Killed at Williamsburg VA and buried in Pompton NJ. He had married Mary Williams (of Newburg NY) with 10 children.

Often confused with another Peter M. Ryerson (2nd Lieut.) who enlisted in 1863 and died of wounds in 1864. NJ 13th.

lupaglupa

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Adolphus J Johnson was born in 1815 in Newark, NJ where lived most of his life. In 1861 the local directory listed him as a hat manufacturer (in 1862 his occupation was "colonel.") About 1870 he became the warden of the Essex County jail. He seems to have retired from that about 1888. In the 1890 Veterans Census he is listed as disabled due to chronic diarrhea. He and his wife Eliza had five children.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6137/adolphus-j.-johnson

neyankee61

Corporal
Thanks. I read somewhere he was put in charge of Conf POWs in Camp Douglas. Is this true or another Johnson?

Story

2nd Lieutenant
Thanks. I read somewhere he was put in charge of Conf POWs in Camp Douglas. Is this true or another Johnson?

See the little Like thumbs-up, lower right corner? That's like handing out Social Credit lollipops around here. :thumbsup:

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
That's probably the same one, more or less. Adolphus Johnson resigned in 1863 and was made commander of the Rock Island Military Prison. He was unfairly blamed for an outbreak of disease (which he did take measures to stop) and for an exaggerated death rate.

neyankee61

Corporal
Ramsey and Langston did not get along at all. Ramsey put Langston up on charges over some trivial matter after Gettysburg. Major Virgil Healy of the 5th NJ was assigned to command the 8th during the Overland Campaign

ErnieMac

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Obituary for John Ramsey.
clip_79643781.jpg

neyankee61

Corporal
Nice work if you can get it. Not much money to be made there. Ramsey during the war seemed to be a climber starting in the 5th NJ

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
The 1900 Census shows John Ramsey (age 61) living with his wife Ellen Ramsey (age 47) and a niece Nellie Rich (age 5). The census also shows that John and Ellen had only been married 7 years in 1900.
What I meant is that Mrs. Ramsey was not even given a name. This is the sort of thing that make researching women difficult; little Nellie had two parents--she didn't (like Athena) spring fully clad from her father's head!