1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Off topic split from Confederates in the Gettysburg National Cemetery

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by cash, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose First Sergeant

Please read carefully what @bdtex stated as a moderator.

Sbc and Cavalry Charger like this.
  4. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Repeat.

pamc153PA and Bee like this.
  5. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Amen, brother. Besides, gotta go do my morning run before the pavement melts!

jgoodguy likes this.
  6. RochesterBill

RochesterBill Private

This is the single most appalling thing I have seen in a long long time.

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  7. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

Does your friend research Union soldiers buried there too? Seriously. I've snapped pics of Union soldier gravestones at National Cemeteries before and tried to do research on them and it's not that easy. For better or worse,it's easier researching Confederate soldiers. Never woulda thought that 3 years ago when I first started doing that kinda research.

Cavalry Charger likes this.
  8. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

This research was done quickly in response to the hoax about the Antifa group wanting to desecrate confederate graves in Gettysburg. He was curious about which confederates were buried there and found what I consider to be interesting information in a very short time about these folks. He shared the information with a group of friends, of which I was honored to be included.

I'm sure if something pops up that sparks his curiosity he would research some of the Union soldiers as well.

bdtex likes this.
  9. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Sources on "wait & see?" I am not a clairvoyant :smile:

10. RobertP

RobertP Major

That's some group of friends Rudy has.

The expression has no life is thrown about a lot but whatever loser found the need to anonymously post that on Find a Grave memorials is one pathetic individual greatly in need of some balance.

11. RobertP

RobertP Major

We're making some progress here. Though the post on Eli Green's Find A Grave page has not yet been deleted the poster has been issued a reprimand. Hope to get to the bottom of this before long.

IMG_2147.PNG

12. contestedground

contestedground Sergeant

I thought we were going to get away from the finger-pointing and recriminations here.

My mistake.

13. RobertP

RobertP Major

You aren't curious?

14. Sbc

Sbc Sergeant

Links to the original information would be great to have as there seem to be some omissions and contradictory statements.
    Find A Grave states that nine Confederate soldiers are buried at Gettysburg. At least 3 others are listed in this thread along with the OP. Anyone know the identities of the last two?
    A minor point; Green is listed as a member of Company A 14th Virginia but the website lists Company E.
    Question: were any of the five not listed in the OP connected with family slave holding?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  15. contestedground

contestedground Sergeant

Not really. Besides, without access to the site, uncovering of IPs, and so on, what would we find?

The quotes appeared on the website following their appearance here. So I can see where someone thought it came as a result of that exchange (although it could have been from wherever @cash saw it).

But only one person decided to investigate that website. If I were unfavorably disposed to you, I might raise the possibility of a false flag operation. What we have before us, after all, also fits that narrative.

So if people want to go off on such an investigation, I'm sure they can do so in private, and if they have something concrete to report that involves a poster here, share it then and only then. Meanwhile, I'd rather talk about Confederates in the Gettysburg cemeteries (as there have been Confederates in the national cemetery and in Evergreen, as well as elsewhere (Culp's Hill). That interests me and promises to be far less divisive.

Good luck with your detective work.

16. RobertP

RobertP Major

Thanks. Mackey said he got the info from his friend, Ranger John Rudy, who also shared it with others in their group. Any right thinking individual should be more than disappointed that this information was not used for context as Mackey claims but as a troll, which led to the misuse of the Find A Grave site.

One person contacted who is connected with Find A Grave is related to Eli T Green, one of the 4 Confederates. Her g-grandfather was Green's brother and she was distressed by it. How would you feel if your grandparents' page were edited in a similar way? If Mackey is interested in making an apology to this woman and her family I will be happy to assist, but that will never happen because he is who he is.

17. contestedground

contestedground Sergeant

I see here no evidence from you that @cash is responsible for putting that information on Find A Grave. In fact, the first person on this group who drew attention to the site was you. There is as much evidence that you posted that material as there is that @cash posted it.

I hope we're done with this.

StephenColbert27, Gandycreek and Bee like this.
  18. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant

Just like Twitter, Facebook, and other social media sites: For every registered individual who interacts, there are countless "lurkers" following along, invisibly taking in the information and doing with it as they please. The fact that you have targeted one individual and have attempted to create your own private witch hunt is as equally disturbing as that which you claim to be the issue that drives you.

StephenColbert27 likes this.
  19. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Not to mention cyberstalking John.

StephenColbert27 and Bee like this.
  20. RobertP

RobertP Major

The only targets I see are those 4 men in the Gettysburg Cemetery and their descendants. One was quite upset and that should bother you.

21. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

I take it we'll hear no bleating from you about "erasing history" and "no one has a right to not be offended."

There was absolutely nothing there that wasn't 100% true. If you're so offended about reading about the truth regarding confederates, perhaps that says something you don't want to consider.

Are you still cyberstalking John?

StephenColbert27 likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.