October 28, 1865--Charleston Observer

ratwod

Private
LATER FROM HOOD-THE MOVEMENT INTO TENNESSEE

It seems to be a settled fact that General Hood broke up his camp at Gadsden, Al., Friday last, moved northward in the direction of Gunter's Landing, on the Tennessee, and is now, in all probability, in Middle Tennessee. The event of the next few days will be looked for with interest. It is reported that Forrest has been ordered forward to attack Bridgeport. A correspondent of the Montgomery Mail, Writing From Gadsden, Ala., says:

The army has moved. The troops are gone. The last train has disappeared, and the last soldier has s taken his farewell peep of the southside of the Coosa.

On Friday, October 21, Stewart's corps marched out in the van. It was followed by Lee, or rather Dick Taylor, who occupies the centre; and today, at dawn, the delighted Tennesseans -​under Cheatham, crossed the river Jordan, or Coosa. The transportation quickly followed and at noon the pontoon was taken up and also hurried forward after the troops.

What does it mean ? It has but one signification: That is "forward." General Hood has at last struck the right and comprehends the policy. No matter what the critics may say—no matter what the books may say—no matter-what science - may say—we lose more In retreat, than we can lose by advancing. The nature of our troops demand action, and they will not be retrograde.

General Cheatham was quite unwell when he mounted to follow his corps. "but," said he, "we are going home now, sad I'll strap myself to my saddle before they shall leave me behind."

General Beauregard is with General Hood. Every general officer is at his post and the spirit and morale of the men unbounded.

Back