Occupied Rock on Little Round Top-1863 and 2016

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
lrt rock combo.jpg

The top image is a highly magnified crop from a Mathew Brady photograph of the west face of Little Round Top taken o/a July 15, 1863. I cropped the image to point out not only the civilians sitting on this unique rock apparently looking towards Devil's Den, but also the two mounted men to the left of the rock. The horses are standing on the flat ledge we now see in front of the 140th NY (O'Rorke's) monument. I am including a pic I took last fall of a Battlefield Guide using this same rock as a platform to lecture some tourists who are standing right where the horses are seen on Brady's image.
Also, for more clarity, I will include a ca. 1900 image taken from the opposite direction on the upper level of the 44th NY castle. This view shows Brady's camera location, designated MB in front of the Warren Rock, the rock seen in my photos above labeled, Civilians, and the ledge on which the horses are standing in Brady's photo, Horses. Also, the pine tree is the same one in both old photos. The tree seen on my pic from last year is NOT the same tree even though it appears to be in the same location. The witness tree came down in 1980.

lrt op view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, will just say again how much I enjoy your studies. I only wish I'd seen them before I visited last September.

And it would have been nice to meet you but you were, it seems, one of those who, upon spying me approaching or in the vicinity, said to themselves "omg - it's him !" and found some foliage to duck behind. So you'll now only have to suffer an occasional post as I'll never get back.

Back