GA Oak Grove Cemetery,Americus,Georgia

Paging @Stiles/Akin
In the Stout records in Texas that your friend photographed - I know you were able to locate records for the Kingston Hospital and a few other smaller, mobile hospitals in GA. Were there any registers of patients treated and who died in either of the Confederate Hospitals at Americus GA? I cant imagine that my 2x great grandfather would have done such a thorough job of recording the dead at Newnan and then, failed to provide equally detailed records for his hospital at Americus.

Last edited:
Paging @Stiles/Akin
In the Stout records in Texas that your friend photographed - I know you were able to locate records for the Kingston Hospital and a few other smaller, mobile hospitals in GA. Were there any registers of patients treated and who died in either of the Confederate Hospitals at Americus GA? I cant imagine that my 2x great grandfather would have done such a thorough job of recording the dead at Newnan and then, failed to provide equally detailed records for his hospital at Americus.
I was gonna drop a post about the Cemetery in your thread in the Medical Care forum. It fits right in.

I'm really enjoying this thread @bdtex. Douglas and I recently met a young man from Americus, GA. When I told him I knew where it was located, he was very surprised that I had even heard of it. He had no idea I was aware of it due to my interest in the Civil War.
Next time I am there,I am gonna spend more time there. There is a lot more to see in Americus. I didn't even have enough time to go through all of the Cemetery. As I believe I said in the OP, it literally got added to the itinerary the day before we left. My spouse stayed in the truck while we there. It was hot outside.

When you zoom on the pics,all of the gravestones you can read are Unknown Confederate Soldier or 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Georgia Reserves soldiers who died in 1864. Same goes for the 3 pics posted above. The white sign on the bottom right of the top picture says that the area is monitored.

2018-06-21 12.59.37.jpg

2018-06-21 12.58.51.jpg

2018-06-21 12.57.33.jpg

2018-06-21 12.57.23.jpg

2018-06-21 12.57.18.jpg

That's my truck parked in the shade on the right side of the second picture. My spouse was in it and probably posting on Facebook about cemeteries being a vacation destination for me. :D

After I was done at the Confederate burial section,I climbed back in my truck to head out to Valdosta and I ran across this. From a distance,I thought it might be a Confederate General or some other famous Confederate veteran. Turned out to be a modern grave. He died in 2005 at the age of 41. Not sure if was a reenactor or SCV member or maybe both. If you zoom on his gravestone and see his picture, he's in a Confederate uniform.

2018-06-21 13.06.48.jpg

2018-06-21 13.07.06.jpg

2018-06-21 13.07.59.jpg

Great Photos and Thread. Here are both your guys. The age spread screams father and son but we will need an ancestry.com member to unravel that one.

CS Soldiers would be buried in the local cemeteries and these markers were provided by the UDC, UCV and SCV.
According to Ancestry and FindAGrave,they are father and son. Quite a few service records for Sidney, mostly hospital records. One of them says he was wounded at Fredericksburg,but the date on the record doesn't match the dates of 1st or 2nd Fredericksburg.

One last commentary. After leaving Americus we were on country roads for a ways until we reached IH75 and turned south to Valdosta. At some point between Americus and IH75 we rolled through a stretch of highway with acres and acres of pecan trees as far as the eye could see on either side of the highway. When we hit IH75 and started heading south,all along the interstate we periodically passed billboards advertising pecans for sale at places along the interstate. We stopped at a huge such place in Tifton,GA. Wish I could remember the name of the place. They sold pecans in every way imaginable. It made me think of Bubba saying all the ways shrimp can be cooked and served. We bought some different pecan delectables and ate some while we were in Valdosta. On the highway home that Sunday,I was wishing I had bought more than one of some of the things I bought and tried. They was good. :D

One last commentary. After leaving Americus we were on country roads for a ways until we reached IH75 and turned south to Valdosta. At some point between Americus and IH75 we rolled through a stretch of highway with acres and acres of pecan trees as far as the eye could see on either side of the highway. When we hit IH75 and started heading south,all along the interstate we periodically passed billboards advertising pecans for sale at places along the interstate. We stopped at a huge such place in Tifton,GA. Wish I could remember the name of the place. They sold pecans in every way imaginable. It made me think of Bubba saying all the ways shrimp can be cooked and served. We bought some different pecan delectables and ate some while we were in Valdosta. On the highway home that Sunday,I was wishing I had bought more than one of some of the things I bought and tried. They was good. :D
Reminds me of the famous old chain of roadside Stuckey's Georgia Pecan Shoppes! (Like the one that USED to be across from the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg on my first visit in 1961.) I think most if not all those are gone now.

Reminds me of the famous old chain of roadside Stuckey's Georgia Pecan Shoppes! (Like the one that USED to be across from the Peach Orchard at Gettysburg on my first visit in 1961.) I think most if not all those are gone now.
Reminded me of Stuckey's too. There is one still open on IH10 between Houston and Beaumont.

Back