NPS Soldiers and Sailors Database

civilwartalk

Lieutenant General
Owner & Webmaster
nps-cwss.jpg

The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (CWSS) is a database containing information about the men who served in the Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. Other information on the site includes histories of Union and Confederate regiments, links to descriptions of significant battles, and selected lists of prisoner-of-war records and cemetery records, which will be amended over time. The CWSS is a cooperative effort between the National Park Service and several public and private partners whose goal is to increase Americans' understanding of this decisive era in American history by making information about it widely accessible.

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/soldiers-and-sailors-database.htm

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
Does anyone know how to (reliably) contact the folks behind this database?

I use it all the time, but in their interface redesign a couple of years ago they (very briefly) had a feature that allowed users to download an Excel spreadsheet that included the data for an entire regiment -- extremely useful, as you can imagine, but then that option "went away." I'd like to have that feature restored. They had it before, so it shouldn't be too complex to do.

I've tried contacting them through the site, but have not gotten any acknowledgement, much less an answer.

Any ideas? I tried stamping my feet and holding my breath, but that didn't work.

Lnwlf

2nd Lieutenant
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
I am getting error messages "page not found" and when I try to use the contact link I get the same message. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? I get to the search function ok but beyond that...:stomp:(I am trying the stomp my feet part of AndyHalls solution)

Ever since they face-lifted it, it's been less user-friendly in my opinion. I hardly ever go there now that I have Fold3.

Seems like every time I use it to get more information on someone I'm certain was in a company or regiment they are never listed in the data base so I don't use it much anymore.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!