NPS Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Search

FrazierC

First Sergeant
I know that many of you are already familiar with this link, but the National Park Service's website has a page that allows you to search for any soldier or sailor on record. It also gives any basic details available. Very useful for researching ancestry, or just for looking up random names and seeing how many people with that name were soldiers.
Here's the link:

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-soldiers.htm

Still, they haven't gone beyond African-American records for the sailors. I think they've been at that stage for about 15 years. :: sigh ::

The regiment search function is also useful as it gives you a brief unit history (for Union units, the Dyers Compendium extract) and includes an admittedly unwieldy roster.

Unfortunately the CWSS doesn't have much info beyond the name of the soldier, unit, and rank in/out. It doesn't list enlistment or discharge dates, deaths, etc. Still, it can be helpful to start your research into a particular soldier.

It is useful for quick searches. They recently changed the search input screen. I like some of it but I still struggle with getting the results as I did previously. The new search does allow you to download a list from a search. This allows you to have a list that you can begin narrowing down to who you are seeking.

Back