Restricted Now monuments to Union soldiers are being vandalized! Cleveland's Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument vandalized

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

matthew mckeon

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Thucydides described some young men defacing monuments in the 5th century BC.

Col. Shaw's sword in the iconic 54th monument used to be stolen regularly as a fraternity prank, although not lately.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Banjo Pete

Private
[QUOTE="matthew mckeon, post:
Very nice quote/ bit of info there ! Whoever did this probably didn't have the faintest idea of what they were vandalizing.

"Civil What ?". Insert frowny face.

Lifelong NYC resident. Recently turned 50. I remember the "bad old days". Which were kinda good in terms of individualism but...

Everything that was nailed down or, conversly, WASN'T (AKA Subway cars) was subject to this nonsense.

And now, thanks to a few "bad apples", it requires parental consent for budding young "fix-it-yourselfers" in many places to buy a lousy can of Rust-Oleum spray paint to spruce their hand-me-down velocipedes up.

Now, get offa my lawn you darned rascals ;-)

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I hate to turn the conversation but really, ' kids ' today aren't actually hooligans, jerks and criminally inclined. I know of 60 year old criminally inclined jerks and hooligans who were probably defacing monuments before the arthritis kicked in.

Went to a doctoral defense this week. There was a roomful of the most intimidatingly committed kids I've encountered in one place. With few exceptions these kids worked full time and went to school full time, no one was giving them a thing while they beat themselves up getting an education. The waitress at the coffee house we went to later was one, too. It transpired that was her second job. IMO the future is in good hands.