Restricted Now monuments to Union soldiers are being vandalized! Cleveland's Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument vandalized

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major

AndyHall

Colonel
shaw-memorial-vandalized.jpg

This is not a new phenomenon. Union monuments, along with all other types of monuments and markers dedicated to other periods and conflicts, also suffer from vandalism, and have for a long time. The famous monument to Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusetts, located on the Boston Common, has been vandalized at least three times in the past decade.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/02/21/robert-gould-shaw-memorial-vandalized-massachusetts-54th-regiment-african-american-boston-common/

The sword was broken off previously in 2015
https://www.metro.us/boston/confederate-flag-hung-on-boston-memorial-monument-not-an-act-of-vandalism-police/zsJofC---dIpjgmn3JjlGY

https://www.boston.com/uncategorized/noprimarytagmatch/2012/07/31/vandalism-of-54th-regiment-memorial-investigated

Someone also hung a Confederate flag on the monument in 2015, although the police didn't consider that as an act of vandalism.
https://www.metro.us/boston/confederate-flag-hung-on-boston-memorial-monument-not-an-act-of-vandalism-police/zsJofC---dIpjgmn3JjlGY

My guess is that most vandalism incidents involving Union or other monuments don't get much more than local coverage, because they're perceived as local, pretty crime. Confederate monuments, for reasons that I don't need to get into here, have taken on a wider, much more politically-charged aspect, and so those incidents get more widely reported and loom larger in the public mind than others.

W. Richardson

Captain
Despite hopes and expectations in some quarters, it was never going to be just Confederate flags and monuments.

Nat,

You are correct !! It's not even really about racism, or oppression, those are just words used as crutches, to acquire support. It is about revenge, always has been, always will be. The sad thing is, some historians, professors, teachers, politicians, and probably even a few here on this forum SUPPORT them. They have people support them, who do not even know they are supporting them, How? By remaining silent.................

Respectfully,

William

Paul Yancey

Private
I wonder if the idiots who did this even know the difference between Union and Confederate. Regardless, this has got to stop. Something has got to be done to stop the destruction of our common history. I suggest that laws be passed to greatly increase the punishment for such acts of vandalism, a slap on the wrist is not going to stop this type of behavior. As I have said before, these are cowardly acts performed by cowardly people.

W. Richardson

Captain
I recall a few years ago, the memorial to the 54th Massachusetts in Boston was vandalized. Some people just get their kicks desecrating things that are important to others.
Interesting view.....................Do you feel the same way about Confederate Memorials? Is it possible those are also important to others?

Respectfully,

William

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I wonder if the idiots who did this even know the difference between Union and Confederate. Regardless, this has got to stop. Something has got to be done to stop the destruction of our common history. I suggest that laws be passed to greatly increase the punishment for such acts of vandalism, a slap on the wrist is not going to stop this type of behavior. As I have said before, these are cowardly acts performed by cowardly people.
The masterminds who egg on the howling mobs know exactly what they are during; those who take the risks in the street, not necessarily.

Lubliner

First Sergeant
Many a key as marred the surface of new vehicles parked in public areas and private too. Sometimes it is a hatred to a new thing; could be an evil act of envy and jealousy; or maybe the dealer and the maker of said auto causes such callous acts. It all translates out to our current boldness for demonstrations.
Lubliner.

W. Richardson

Captain
I don't think anything should be vandalized.
@Carronade,

Sir I do agree, and I never for once thought you would support any monument being vandalized. I also know there is a majority of Americans who feel the same way, but they never step up and speak out. As long as we have millions of American's who are against monuments being vandalized, but remain silent, we will continue to see monuments vandalized, silence is....support.

Respectfully,

William

Lubliner

First Sergeant
@Carronade,

Sir I do agree, and I never for once thought you would support any monument being vandalized. I also know there is a majority of Americans who feel the same way, but they never step up and speak out. As long as we have millions of American's who are against monuments being vandalized, but remain silent, we will continue to see monuments vandalized, silence is....support.

Respectfully,

William
Hear hear!!
Lubliner.

About 47 miles Northwest of the Canadian border
Detroit has the huge Black Fist monument that is a memorial to boxer Joe Louis. A number of years back it was defaced with paint and the two suspects were caught, convicted and each sentenced to 30 days in jail plus a $1,000 fine with probation. It has not been vandalized since.

Belle Montgomery

Sergeant Major
Detroit has the huge Black Fist monument that is a memorial to boxer Joe Louis. A number of years back it was defaced with paint and the two suspects were caught, convicted and each sentenced to 30 days in jail plus a $1,000 fine with probation. It has not been vandalized since.
It's seems that unless we teach kids at a young age to respect other people's property, especially public, this will continue. In a day of cameras you'd think these kids would be at least smart enough to figure they'd get caught. Perhaps start destroying their personal property, cell phones, expensive shoes etc. after they're caught vandalizing and then maybe they'd really get it! :rofl:

Ok I’d like to chime in here for a second because I work very closely with
the Monument including dealing with incidents of vandalism.

1. This event is not unique. We have had incidents of serious vandalism on the monument before.

2. This incident has nothing to do with the “monument controversy” y’all are yakking on about.

3. Shockingly the vandalism occurred not as an intentional act but as the result of trespassing. It wasn’t some political thing it was morons who thought it’d be funny to climb the 125 year old statue, and broke the wheel spoke of a cannon trying to do so. The same thing happened years ago but it was a white drunk guy, on the cavalry statue. These people are just regular old criminals they don’t have any motivation beyond hey y’all watch this.

4. This kind of thing happens to us a lot because we are in public square and because due to long complicated legal & historical reasons we are in Cuyahoga County & not the city of Cleveland. So the legal jurisdiction is wonky, and we don't have any real security. Usually it isn't this level of severity, but that's because normal people (even vandals!) don't see a like 40ft bronze statue and think "Imma climb that, that seems safe!". The guys who did this are very lucky they didn't wind up learning about gravity the hard way.

5. If you want to help, not just kipe, please share the photos of the criminals who did this on social media ect. so they can be found and brought to justice. They have committed a felony and will pay for the restoration of the monument when they are caught. That is what happened to the last idiot who damaged the monument... he has a criminal record now and just finished paying off a hefty fine for his actions. Vandalism is not a smart life choice!

Last edited: