November 5th Video Discussion: The Battle of the Crater

JerseyBart

Brigadier General
Forum Host
Image2.jpg

Monday 11/5/18 9:00pm easter in the Chatroom:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?447006-5/battle-crater

Last edited by a moderator:
I got an alert for Dom's reply, but not for JB's post. I checked my profile again and I am supposed to get an alert if my name is mentioned--all the items in "Alert Preferences" are checked.

???

I didn't get an alert either - which is strange because when I got tagged in a post by Eleanor Rose a couple of days ago, the alert came through. Maybe it's this forum?

I won't be able to be there. 3 a.m. Tuesday morning when I'll have to be at work at 8:30 a.m. - no can do, sir. I'll watch the video and read the discussion afterwards. You all have fun! :smile: But thanks for remembering me! :thumbsup:

Besides, I'm still not even in Petersburg in my studies. Pickett is just getting ready for his charge. :wink:

As usual, the alert didn't come through. However, I plan to be there, for a change.
mike and I have a theory, that if that tags are added in an edit you will not get an alert. So if the original post has the user tags, you should be alerted, if the post has been edited to add the tags no alert will go out. it

Isn’t the Crater where Chamberlin was wounded. I’ll have to reread it.
According to wikipedia, Chamberlain was wounded during the Second Battle of Petersburg, aka the Assault on Petersburg, on June 15–18, 1864.

mike and I have a theory, that if that tags are added in an edit you will not get an alert. So if the original post has the user tags, you should be alerted, if the post has been edited to add the tags no alert will go out.
That makes sense, but didn't JB put the tags in a separate post, not as an edit to his OP? :confused:

Isn’t the Crater where Chamberlin was wounded. I’ll have to reread it. Should be a great topic JB!
The Crater was where the soldiers who had been miners before the war tried to dig a tunnel under the Confederate defenses. Something went wrong with the detonation and it did much less damage than expected. Then the US Colored Troups who should be given the honor to be the first in and overwhelm the Confederates were trapped in that crater and were shot from the crater walls. As more and more troops came through the tunnel there was no chance to retreat. A huge tragedy.
Sorry, if I got something wrong, it's what I remember from the top of my head.
But great idea, @War Horse, I'd love to see a discussion about Chamberlain some day. According to my new idol Gary Gallagher he was much less significant in a military way than the Shaaras wanted us to believe, and Jeff Daniels gave him more substance (physically and spiritually) than he had in his time, but nevertheless he was a fascinating personality, a role model in bravery and endurance, and his "Passing of the Armies" still brings tears to my eyes whenever I read it...

As I share the fate of @luinrina, being in the wrong time zone, again no chance to participate for me. But this time I will try not to forget to look for the transcript at least!
Have fun in the coatroom, lol!
(Hey, it's a sign of bonding when people as a group start to use words in a special way that is only known to them...)

According to wikipedia, Chamberlain was wounded during the Second Battle of Petersburg, aka the Assault on Petersburg, on June 15–18, 1864.

That makes sense, but didn't JB put the tags in a separate post, not as an edit to his OP? :confused:
Yeah, I did notice that. I don’t know what’s going on. That was the only thing Mike could think it might be. I should ask him to do some more digging.

Yeah, I did notice that. I don’t know what’s going on. That was the only thing Mike could think it might be. I should ask him to do some more digging.
Maybe some more info will help:
When @FarawayFriend tagged me in her post in this thread, the alert didn't come through. When she tagged me in her post in the discussion thread about the retreat from Gettysburg, the alert came through.

Maybe some more info will help:
When @FarawayFriend tagged me in her post in this thread, the alert didn't come through. When she tagged me in her post in the discussion thread about the retreat from Gettysburg, the alert came through.

Could it be the comma coming directly behind @luinrina 's name? I have noticed that sometimes a blank is generated between the tagged name and the following punctuation mark and sometimes not. In this post there is a blank after lu's name, in my above post there was not. Lu, were you tagged here?

Back