Not important...Just Curious

flyfisher

Cadet
I've been reading some on the Battle of Mobile Bay. When I read the reports filed by Farragut, Buchanan and the various captions they use the term "instant"...as in, "on July 5th instant, we..."

What's up with that? I've just never run across it before.

Thx.

Instant means "of the current month." I don't think you would see "July 5th instant," because that's redundant. What you would see is "On the 5th instant, we..."

There was also proximo and ultimo. Proximo meant next month ("On the 5th proximo, we will...") and ultimo meant last month ("On the 5th ultimo, we...").

Thanks...that makes perfect sense. You're correct...it wasn't "August 5th instant" but rather "the 5th instant".

As I said, not of earth shattering importance but I was just curious and appreciate your clearing it up.

Capias warrants are still worded that the Sheriff is ordered to bring the body before this honorable court as it convenes Instant. Have you now this Capias and in your duty fail not at your own peril.""

Meaning go arrest this guy and have him in front of the judge on the next court day, and don't screw it up.

Back