Not Civil War/ The Girl with the Tattooed face

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Allie

Captain
That looks like a ceremonial beard... I remember reading that Maori women had ceremonial beards after they had given birth to several sons. I wasn't aware that any Native Americans did anything similar.

I've read about the girl from "Life among the Indians" but never seen her. Interesting.

A Maori woman with chin tattoo, like I was thinking of:
image.jpg

They think Olive Oatman may have been taken by the Yavapai, like this lady:
image.jpg

Or the Mohave, like this one:

image.jpg

Last edited:

Evan

First Sergeant
The original posted picture was the base for the character of Eva in Hell on Wheels.

Expired Image Removed

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The hundred and eleven is coming back in tribe. It was a marker of status around these parts, and depending on the width, location, spacing and darkness conveyed what tribe, what clan and what position - like first wife, or second wife. This is my cousin with a modern one - Hupa.

pic1.gif

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The Blue Tattoo is the biography of Olivia Oatman, quite a good read if you can find a copy! She was fully assimilated into Mojave society - hence the important tattoo - then was taken back into white society, not entirely of her own will. Very good bio - just now finally remembered the name of it. Many of these white women captives, especially those taken as children, were not very happy once returned to 'their own' world. It's an interesting corner of race and racism that remains dark even now.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)