Not a Civil War cannon

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
This is not a Civil War cannon but I was wondering about its markings.

20181205_110005.jpg
20181205_105912.jpg

Any thoughts on the "7" between the broad arrow and crown? In the second photo is that "J" zero or an "O"?

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
War of 1812 is one of two theories. The other being when the Birtish withdrew from Derroit in the 1790s.

Jobe Holiday

Sergeant Major
Respectfully, "GR" represents the Latin for "Georgius Rex", or King George in English. Because there were several "GR" reigning as the King of England, you have to have the complete monogram, which would include the Roman numeral to go along with the "GR". The numeral was usuall included within the GR, such as "GR III" for George the 3rd.
J.

TomV71

Corporal
Silver Patron
Respectfully, "GR" represents the Latin for "Georgius Rex", or King George in English. Because there were several "GR" reigning as the King of England, you have to have the complete monogram, which would include the Roman numeral to go along with the "GR". The numeral was usuall included within the GR, such as "GR III" for George the 3rd.
J.
I posted a pic of the correct King George III monogram as depicted on the cannon earlier in this same thread. :smile:

gary

Captain
The British got Fort Detroit when they beat the French on the Plains of Abraham. I think Robert Rogers among other units . (60th Royal Americans) were sent to raise the Union Jack over it. The British only surrendered Detroit when they lost the American Revolution. They may have dumped it into the lake then.

TomV71

Corporal
Silver Patron
I will have to double check but the museum signage said King George II not King George III.
Could very well be. Its a pretty similar monogram. Only the digit is different. If so, then the cannon is produced before 1760. I assumed George III since most wars in North America was under his reign, except the French and Indian War..

George II monogram:
GRII-VirTourPhoto.jpg