lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
From the Blog of the Gettysburg National Military Park
The story of the 9th Massachusetts Bigelow's Battery gunner, John K Norwood , and his rock.....
norwood-rock-holland.jpg

“The enemy were on the gun and limber…” Gunner John Norwood’s narrow escape at Gettysburg.

".....The tree that shaded the injured soldiers has long since been gone from this site and though time and weather have played hard on this particular boulder, which fits perfectly in the field among other rocks and rounded blocks of granite that jut through the soil, it is different because it has a personal story. And now a specific identity....."

It's a GREAT story - please read the entire article here https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2017/...er-john-norwoods-narrow-escape-at-gettysburg/

@Bee @PeterT @Tom Elmore you will like this!!!

Last edited:
From the Blog of the Gettysburg National Military Park
The story of the 9th Massachusetts Bigelow's Battery gunner, John K Norwood , and his rock.....
norwood-rock-holland.jpg

“The enemy were on the gun and limber…” Gunner John Norwood’s narrow escape at Gettysburg.

".....The tree that shaded the injured soldiers has long since been gone from this site and though time and weather have played hard on this particular boulder, which fits perfectly in the field among other rocks and rounded blocks of granite that jut through the soil, it is different because it has a personal story. And now a specific identity....."

It's a GREAT story - please read the entire article here https://npsgnmp.wordpress.com/2017/...er-john-norwoods-narrow-escape-at-gettysburg/

@Bee @PeterT you will like this!!!
Excellent!! Thanks for this!

Fascinating story indeed. Another "named" rock to find. Bigelow's 9th Massachusetts retirement by Prolonge is my favorite Artillery story to tell. Fortunately this rock should be easy to find- thanks to Frums for the excellent photos which put the rock location into perspective.

Sad part is I have a resemblance to John Norwood in the sketch.

It was a VERY chilly morning! Lots of fun tho.
Thanks for tracking down this rock for us Frums! and providing the pictures that demonstrate the distance between the rock and the Trostle house. Whenever I read accounts like this, I am always trying to figure out how far apart the landmarks are and now I can see from your pictures.
"Early the next morning and with the assistance of a Confederate skirmisher, Norwood stumbled into the Trostle house to take shelter along with a handful of other wounded men."

Thanks for tracking down this rock for us Frums! and providing the pictures that demonstrate the distance between the rock and the Trostle house. Whenever I read accounts like this, I am always trying to figure out how far apart the landmarks are and now I can see from your pictures.
"Early the next morning and with the assistance of a Confederate skirmisher, Norwood stumbled into the Trostle house to take shelter along with a handful of other wounded men."
You are all very welcome and I will tell my son that you liked his pic's. He is taking a class in high school and I had him read the story you posted, figure out where the rock was on the field and take pic's that would help tell the story to others. I guess he did very well!

Back