Northerners who travelled South to enlist in the Confederacy?

UncleBourbon

Private
I've been wondering if there are any examples of this for a while.
I learned of two individuals from my State who at the very least opposed the Union's role in the war verbally; Lysander Spooner, an abolitionist who compared the Union's effort to stop Southern secession to a master's effort to stop the freeing of his slaves, and Ambrose L. Kimball, an Essex County journalist who openly voiced that he felt the Lincoln administration's policies and efforts were contradictory to the ideals of the Founding Fathers, which resulting in him getting tarred, feathered and essentially chased to Iowa.
These two made me wonder if any Northerners, particularly from New England, opposed the Union with arms rather than rhetoric and attempted to or succeeding in enlisting in the Confederacy.

I'm aware of at least John Clifford Pemberton from Pennsylvania doing as such, however he was a General and I'm more interested in lower ranks, particularly those who would enlist as Privates.
Northerners who were caught attempting to join or aid the Confederacy would also be of interest.

Henry L. Stone
Indiana Confederate Henry Lane .jpg

Vote Here:
Northerners who were caught attempting to join or aid the Confederacy would also be of interest.

When you say "northerners" do you mean folks who were born and bred, or just people who were living in Union states during the war?

Asbury Harpending was a resident of California during the war (although originally from Kentucky). In 1863 he traveled to Richmond VA and obtained a letter of marque authorizing him to act as a privateer for the Confederacy. He then returned to California and organised a group to begin privateering, but their plot was discovered and they were arrested in San Francisco before they could set sail.

A more successful story of folks in California joining the Confederacy would be the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles, which were already mentioned earlier in this thread. They made it to Texas and joined Confederate forces there.

There were also some gangs of "partisans" in California that carried out attacks/robberies in the name of the Confederacy. But they operated locally on the west-coast, rather than traveling into Confederate territory.

Vote Here:
When you say "northerners" do you mean folks who were born and bred, or just people who were living in Union states during the war?

Asbury Harpending was a resident of California during the war (although originally from Kentucky). In 1863 he traveled to Richmond VA and obtained a letter of marque authorizing him to act as a privateer for the Confederacy. He then returned to California and organised a group to begin privateering, but their plot was discovered and they were arrested in San Francisco before they could set sail.

A more successful story of folks in California joining the Confederacy would be the Los Angeles Mounted Rifles, which were already mentioned earlier in this thread. They made it to Texas and joined Confederate forces there.

There were also some gangs of "partisans" in California that carried out attacks/robberies in the name of the Confederacy. But they operated locally on the west-coast, rather than traveling into Confederate territory.
I posted a thread about Harpending and the J. M. Chapman back in 2013. A rather interesting story.

Vote Here:
I'm putting this in the form of a question. I'd appreciate anyone's response. Look at card # 2 in this man's record.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/30093931 "300 miles to the place of rendezvous" Enlistment place: "Crane Creek, Missouri". Could the 300 miles distant to the rendezvous place, place this man originally in southern Illinois, Indiana, or Kentucky?
Roughly 250 miles by road from St. Louis by road today, so I think southern Illinois is a possibility.

Vote Here:
Any confederate soldiers from Michigan?
I'm a member of one of the two SCV camps here in Michigan, and I have been working the last several years to document those Confederate soldiers & veterans who were either...
- born in Michigan
- died in Michigan
- buried in Michigan
- have a strong life-connection to Michigan.
... or any combination thereof.

I have been able to document between 50-60 graves in Michigan of Confederate soldiers who served the South with honor.

As for Confederates who were actually from Michigan, I have only been able to document a handful who served with honor; the exact number escapes me right now, but it's less than 10).

Vote Here:
I'm a member of one of the two SCV camps here in Michigan, and I have been working the last several years to document those Confederate soldiers & veterans who were either...
- born in Michigan
- died in Michigan
- buried in Michigan
- have a strong life-connection to Michigan.
... or any combination thereof.

I have been able to document between 50-60 graves in Michigan of Confederate soldiers who served the South with honor.

As for Confederates who were actually from Michigan, I have only been able to document a handful who served with honor; the exact number escapes me right now, but it's less than 10).
Do you know if any lived or are buried in Wayne County Michigan? I am trying to look for some around there.

Vote Here:
Do you know if any lived or are buried in Wayne County Michigan? I am trying to look for some around there.
Gustavus A DeRussy, Brig. Gen. US Army, is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, Detroit.
I visited and photoed his grave during a visit to Detroit
His brother, Louis G De Russy, was a high ranking Engineer in the CS Army.
Not quite what you are looking for, but...

Vote Here:
I'm putting this in the form of a question. I'd appreciate anyone's response. Look at card # 2 in this man's record.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/30093931 "300 miles to the place of rendezvous" Enlistment place: "Crane Creek, Missouri". Could the 300 miles distant to the rendezvous place, place this man originally in southern Illinois, Indiana, or Kentucky?
Since he enlisted in the 2nd Ark Mtd Rifles, I would expect his rendezvous would have been in that state, and he would have reported there following his enlistment in Crane Creek, Mo. He wound up in Co. H, which was organized in Hempstead County, so, perhaps[?] there.

Vote Here:
Any confederate soldiers from Michigan?
I did some quick research in the 1860 census, looking for young men living in the south who were born in Michigan. Then I checked to see if any of these men served in the confederate army. I did find a couple examples without digging too deep.

Horatio H Ives, born and raised in Unadilla, Livingston County Michigan. He is enumerated in the 1860 census as living in both Michigan and Mississippi. He became a Lieutenant in the 9th Mississippi Infantry during the war and was killed at Chickamauga.

Silas S Sprague, born and raised in Calhoun County Michigan. He is enumerated in the 1860 census as living in Mobile, Alabama. He became a sergeant in the 3rd Alabama Infantry during the war and was killed at Spotsylvania.

Vote Here:
I did some quick research in the 1860 census, looking for young men living in the south who were born in Michigan. Then I checked to see if any of these men served in the confederate army. I did find a couple examples without digging too deep.

Horatio H Ives, born and raised in Unadilla, Livingston County Michigan. He is enumerated in the 1860 census as living in both Michigan and Mississippi. He became a Lieutenant in the 9th Mississippi Infantry during the war and was killed at Chickamauga.

Silas S Sprague, born and raised in Calhoun County Michigan. He is enumerated in the 1860 census as living in Mobile, Alabama. He became a sergeant in the 3rd Alabama Infantry during the war and was killed at Spotsylvania.

These are the only two Michigan natives I have found to have died in the Confederate service. Both had brothers who served in the Union Army.

Vote Here:
Back