North Carolina had the best care medical care in the Confederacy?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I'm currently reading "Doctors in Gray: The Confederate Medical Service" by Horace Hernadon (I'm doing this from my Kindle and it keeps alternating between the title and the author.

There is a statement that claims the following under "State Assistance" -- All of the states were generous in supplementing the work of relief societies. Surgeon Charles E. Michel, writing from Cleveland, Tennessee, late in 1862, observed that "The property here is almost entirely contributions from States and communities to their own troops belonging to General Bragg's army."

North Carolina through a special agreement with the Confederate government took such extraordinary care of its troops that there was little necessity for extensive private aid efforts. Medical Director Lafayette Guild asserted that North Carolina showed "more zeal & practical intelligence" in caring for its men "than any other state in the Confederacy."

This is fascinating to me. So what was this special agreement? If it was so good, why didn't the other CSA states follow it? How did this work exactly and why was NC so favored?

Mark F. Jenkins

Colonel
Member of the Year
I'd imagine part of it was North Carolina's state-owned blockade runners, like the A.D. Vance (or Advance, as it sometimes appears). Considerably before the Confederate federal government got into the blockade-running business, North Carolina was doing it, and earmarking the imports specially for Tarheel State units.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

NH Civil War Gal

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Can we expand on this? If NC was the best, what states were the worst and why? Obviously landlocked states didn't have the economic advantage of blockade runners, but there had to be other factors too. Georgia had a large coast and I haven't read much on Gov. Brown but I somehow got the feeling he sometimes got in his own way (and maybe some other Governors too) with the State's Right thing.

Did the states share medical care? Medical supplies? Uniforms?