North Carolina Civil War Roster Index Now Available Online

ExNavyPilot

2nd Lieutenant
From an email sent by the NC Dept of Cultural Resources:

The Historical Publications Section of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources has made available online a cumulative master index of the first 18 volumes of "North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865: A Roster." This index of approximately 115,000 names of North Carolinians who served in the Civil War will be of great interest to historians, genealogists, and anyone with a Tar Heel ancestor who fought in that conflict.

Work on "North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865: A Roster" began in 1961 with the purpose of researching, compiling, and publishing service records for every North Carolinian who served in the Civil War. To date, 18 of a projected 22 volumes have been published.

The rosters in each volume are arranged numerically by regiment or battalion and alphabetically by company. Each roster is preceded by a unit history giving information about where it was raised and how it was designated. Officers and enlisted men are listed in separate sections alphabetically by surname. Each name is followed by a service record that includes information such as the soldier's county of birth and residence; his age and occupation at time of enlistment; promotions; whether he was wounded, captured or killed; and whether he deserted or died of disease.

This online cumulative index contains an entry for each man listed in the series. Each entry includes the volume number and page number where his service record is listed or where he is otherwise mentioned. It does not list company and regiment. Cross referencing of variant name spellings is available. The index database also contains entries for all the persons, places and military units mentioned in the histories.

Most public and academic libraries hold volumes of the "North Carolina Troops" series. Individual volumes and copies of individual pages from those volumes can be purchased from Historical Publications.

Digitization of the "North Carolina Troops" index is a joint project of Historical Publications and the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources Information Technology Application team.

For additional information call (919) 733-7442, ext. 225. The Historical Publications Section within the Office of Archives and History is part of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources.

From an email sent by the NC Dept of Cultural Resources:

The Historical Publications Section of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources has made available online a cumulative master index of the first 18 volumes of "North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865: A Roster." This index of approximately 115,000 names of North Carolinians who served in the Civil War will be of great interest to historians, genealogists, and anyone with a Tar Heel ancestor who fought in that conflict.

Work on "North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865: A Roster" began in 1961 with the purpose of researching, compiling, and publishing service records for every North Carolinian who served in the Civil War. To date, 18 of a projected 22 volumes have been published.

The rosters in each volume are arranged numerically by regiment or battalion and alphabetically by company. Each roster is preceded by a unit history giving information about where it was raised and how it was designated. Officers and enlisted men are listed in separate sections alphabetically by surname. Each name is followed by a service record that includes information such as the soldier's county of birth and residence; his age and occupation at time of enlistment; promotions; whether he was wounded, captured or killed; and whether he deserted or died of disease.

This online cumulative index contains an entry for each man listed in the series. Each entry includes the volume number and page number where his service record is listed or where he is otherwise mentioned. It does not list company and regiment. Cross referencing of variant name spellings is available. The index database also contains entries for all the persons, places and military units mentioned in the histories.

Most public and academic libraries hold volumes of the "North Carolina Troops" series. Individual volumes and copies of individual pages from those volumes can be purchased from Historical Publications.

Digitization of the "North Carolina Troops" index is a joint project of Historical Publications and the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources Information Technology Application team.

For additional information call (919) 733-7442, ext. 225. The Historical Publications Section within the Office of Archives and History is part of the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources.

Thanks Much !!! Great Addition !!

Does this include all NC soldiers, or only white Confederates?

jno

I purchased Vol VI of this series to do some research on the NC 18th Regiment. The Governor's Preface states: "This volume is the sixth in a projected series of thirteen volumes containing the names and service records of North Carolinians who served in the Confederate and Union armed forces during the Civil War". (I think it should read 'Confederate OR Union'.)

Great question. It is not clear at all if it is just CSA or ALL NC soldiers on both sides. No indication in the index if there are any USCT.

Eighteen of the 22 projected volumes are published -- I bought them a few months ago when on sale. The volumes thus far include all Confederate units from the Artillery (vol. 1) to the Senior Reserves (Vol.XVIII). I understand that the five remaining volumes (I don’t
know in which order) will include the CS Home Guard and local defense troops, the CS Navy/Marine Corps and the eight regiments of US troops -- four black and four white.

Deo Vindice

Eighteen of the 22 projected volumes are published -- I bought them a few months ago when on sale. The volumes thus far include all Confederate units from the Artillery (vol. 1) to the Senior Reserves (Vol.XVIII). I understand that the five remaining volumes (I don’t in which order) will include the CS Home Guard and local defense troops, the CS Navy/Marine Corps and the eight regiments of US troops -- four black and four white.

Deo Vindice

Thanks. I did some spot checking and I couldn't find any Union NC troops. Your post explains why. I'll pass info on the last few volumes' inclusion in the set when completed.

Back