North Anna Battlefield Park

Buckeye Bill

Captain
Forum Host
Annual Winner
* The Mt. Carmel Church (Federal Army Position before the Battle of North Anna River).

DSC_0388.JPG

* Hanover Junction (Confederate Army Position before the Battle of North Anna River) : The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad.

DSC_0443.JPG

* North Anna River Bridge Crossing (Both Armies Crossed Here : US 1 just South of the Ox Ford Road).

DSC_0394.JPG

* The Jericho Mills Battlefield (Dead End of Noel Road off Verdon Road - US 684).

DSC_0398.JPG

* The Entrance to the North Anna River Battlefield off Verdon Road (US 684).

DSC_0402.JPG

* The Civil War Trails at Ox Ford.

DSC_0406.JPG

* The Battle of North Anna Battlefield Park Kiosk (Starting Point of Trails).

DSC_0407.JPG

* The Blue and Gray Trail System.

DSC_0410.JPG

* Gray Trail Tour Stop - 7 (Save Yourselves If You Can).

DSC_0418.JPG

* Gray Trail Tour Stop - 8 (The Inverted V).

DSC_0421.JPG

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 1 (Men from Massachusetts).

DSC_0428.JPG

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 7 (River War).

DSC_0440.JPG

* The North Anna River.

DSC_0441.JPG

* The North Anna Battlefield Park : Here at the Ox Ford portion of the battlefield, Confederates turned back Federal attacks of May 24-25, 1864. A six-mile walking trail features interpretive signs that detail the events of the battle. Trench works and rifle pits from the battle are located on the 172-acre property and are considered some of the most pristine examples of earthworks in existence.

* The Civil War Trust "Battle of North Anna, Virginia" Map.

North Anna River 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos.

Thank you, kind Sir!

Another reason I need to revisit Eastern Virginia - I haven't been there for years!

My son and I toured this ACW venue last May. The terrain is 100% brutal! I have a new appreciation for this Overland Campaign conflict. I can't even imagine the horror which took place surrounding the North Anna River.

Bill

Thank you, kind Sir!

Thanks, Donna.....

I love touring the popular ACW battlefields but there is something special about the "off the beaten path" sites. I was very impressed with this battlefield.

Bill

N. Anna is a fascinating battle to study. I remember starting a thread on the battle a number of years ago and it was surprising the number of people who were unfamiliar with it. Lee really lured Grant into a masterful trap and it was only because of illness and the inability of his subordinates, primarily A.P. Hill, to execute the plan that it did not work. Grant got very lucky there.

North Anna Battlefield : Attempting to comprehend this Overland Campaign battle, one has to WALK this terrain near the North Anna River. The Gray Trail (Confederate Positions) is a very easy walk. The Blue Trail (Federal Movements) is a medium to hard walk (some steep parts). I placed the photo of Blue Trail Tour Stop - 2 with marker for a reason. First, this view gives the visitor a sense of depth of this brutal terrain. Second, this view gives the visitor the position of Federal troops attempting to attack Confederate earthworks on the high ground surrounding the North Anna River. I have had the opportunity to tour a ton of American Civil War battlefields. I would have to say this venue, along with Lookout Mountain/Missionary Ridge, are amongst the worst terrain to fight a battle during the American Civil War. After my visit to this park, the Battle of North Anna is one of my favorite battles to study and explore.

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 2 (Like the Coming of a Cyclone).

DSC_0430.JPG

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 2 Marker.

DSC_0431.JPG

Last edited:
I love touring the popular ACW battlefields but there is something special about the "off the beaten path" sites. I was very impressed with this battlefield.

I couldn't agree more about visiting the off the beaten path sites. I always groan when I see the tour bus arrive. I remember back in the 1990's, three of us were doing a motorcycle tour. At Waterloo, we were on the Butte de Lion. My mate Geoff said 'we better get out of here. Look!'. Three tour busses had pulled up. Every single person from the busses was making a beeline for the steps up the monument. We just got to the bottom of the steps when what seemed like 500 Japanese tourists went charging to the top. They each fired off a roll of film. Then came back down. I'm pretty sure they had no idea what they were looking at.

* The Mt. Carmel Church (Federal Army Position before the Battle of North Anna River).

View attachment 139367

* Hanover Junction (Confederate Army Position before the Battle of North Anna River) : The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad.

View attachment 139368

* North Anna River Bridge Crossing (Both Armies Crossed Here : US 1 just South of the Ox Ford Road).

View attachment 139369

* The Jericho Mills Battlefield (Dead End of Noel Road off Verdon Road - US 684).

View attachment 139370

* The Entrance to the North Anna River Battlefield off Verdon Road (US 684).

View attachment 139375

* The Civil War Trails at Ox Ford.

View attachment 139376

* The Battle of North Anna Battlefield Park Kiosk (Starting Point of Trails).

View attachment 139379

* The Blue and Gray Trail System.

View attachment 139381

* Gray Trail Tour Stop - 7 (Save Yourselves If You Can).

View attachment 139383

* Gray Trail Tour Stop - 8 (The Inverted V).

View attachment 139384

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 1 (Men from Massachusetts).

View attachment 139385

* Blue Trail Tour Stop - 7 (River War).

View attachment 139386

* The North Anna River.

View attachment 139387

* The North Anna Battlefield Park : Here at the Ox Ford portion of the battlefield, Confederates turned back Federal attacks of May 24-25, 1864. A six-mile walking trail features interpretive signs that detail the events of the battle. Trench works and rifle pits from the battle are located on the 172-acre property and are considered some of the most pristine examples of earthworks in existence.

* The Civil War Trust "Battle of North Anna, Virginia" Map.

View attachment 139365
That VA state marker is in decent shape. Great pics, Bill. Keep 'em coming.

Great photos! I s that the Church where the famous photos of Grant and his Officers are sitting in the pews outside?

Thanks!!!

That famous photo containing Grant and his staff was captured at the Massaponax Church just outside of Spotsylvania, Virginia.

Bill

Thanks for the photos. I walked the battlefield several years back with my AK prosthesis. Not an easy task. My great grandfather was captured on May 24, 1864 near Ox Ford during General Ledlie's insane attack. From his diary:

May 24th. (1864)

Slept soundly, woke fully refreshed. Lounged about under orders to be ready to move at once until 1:00 p.m., when were again on the march. It was warm and dusty. One mile brought us to the North Anna River. This we forded water hip deep, the bottom of the river rough and rocky, the current strong. Swung our haversacks heavy with 3 days rations and our cartridge boxes over our heads and shoulders. Some were unlucky enough to get upset and came near getting drowned. After crossing our brigade was formed in battle line. Our regiment deployed as skirmishers, and led the advance through a thick fine wood, ravines and rough places in plenty with here and there an open space, going some of the way at double quick time. We soon met the rebel picket line which fell back at our advance saluting us at the first with a few stray shots, a half a mile or more brought us to an open field beyond which we could see the rebel breastworks, batteries and infantry in battle line. Halted until our brigade came up when a general attack was made upon the rebel line in our front with the result of driving them through the wood and across a ravine some eight feet deep and back to their main line. Continuing the advance we were met with such a shower of shell, grape, and cannister combined with a sudden downpour of rain that our little were broken and orders were given to fall back to breastwork which our reserves had thrown up in our rear. In the scrimmage our regiment line was broken up as we fell back through the woods. Suddenly found myself alone with three of our 35th and the main body of the 56th. Going up to General Leddlie, I asked for the whereabouts of the 35th. He said they were all mixed up with the other regiments and I had better go in with 56th. Joined them and tried to find some of the 35th, but in vain, and soon concluded that the place for me was with my own regiment and started back to the river. Soon came upon Captain Hudson, and Company H who were doing picket duty on the left. He did not know where the rest of the regiment was. We remained in quiet for near an hour when a downpour of rain came on in the midst of which the rebels succeeded in getting on our flank, which caused a “grand skedaddle” on our part towards the river. We stopped to give a wounded man some water. I got separated and found myself alone and mid the rain, mist and wood began to be in doubt as to the line of retreat when I came upon Lt. Creasy, and two other staff officers chatting unconcernedly and so felt all right and kept on coming out to open field when I came upon a line of skirmishers lying upon the ground. Marched towards them supposing them our own men when suddenly a half a dozen or more jumped up took aim and yelled out “drop that gun”-kept towards them yelling out “don’t fire on your men”, only to receive a second yell from them. Then to suddenly realize that death or surrender was my alternative and with a feeling of shame and mortification, threw down my gun which I had hoped to carry home (with scar of rebel bullet received at Jackson, Mississippi) as a memorandum of the war. Was soon taken in charge by a member of the 7th Alabama with a reproof for not dropping my gun at their first call, and the remark that in “another minute you would of been a dead man.” Marched to the rear was relieved of rubber blanket, shelter tent, and cartridge box, and found myself with about 25 more unfortunates. Was humiliated to find myself alone of the 35th at first but not for long, for soon came in the three staff officers, and five comrades of the 35th. Were marched about a mile to Andersons station where we found more of wearers of the blue and by night we numbered about 70. Our guards treated us well. As we stretched out upon mother earth another shower greeted us so that with our previous duckings we were so well soaked that our weary bodies soon forgot it all in “nature’s sweet restorer balmy sleep.”

May 25th.

Slept soundly. Fine morning and with the opening day three more of the 35th were brought in making nine of us. As the day grew, it became warmer and we were taken into a wood where it was cool and comfortable. The rebel soldiers were anxious to buy watches knives, paper, and jewelry paying in Confederate money now worth in exchange value 1/10th of United States money. They were in the main good solid looking men, well clothed, many having on some part of United States Uniform. Those wearing our army belts did so with the “U.S.” upside down. Were free to talk with us. At near 3 p.m. shot from some distant battery began to roll in among us and soon we were in a grand “skidaddle” to the rear for about a mile. At 4 p.m. came the words “fall in forward march,” and a march of five mile brought us to Taylorsville, where we halted to then start a ten mile march to Ashland, where we permitted to camp on a fine grasy plot. Got a good ducking on the way. Missed Uncle Sam’s rubber blankets. During the march in the p.m. passed several regiments of confederates evidently waiting orders and lining the roadsides. While halted for a rest saw a young confederate whose face looked familiar but could not recall his name or where I had seen him before. He recognized me and found him to be Charles Ellis, whose father, a former Massachusetts man had removed to Florida, and at the opening of the war had responsed the cause of the confederacy. He with his brother Frank, were schoolmates of brothers Ronnie, and Herbert. Charles was now in the 2nd Florida and Frank in a regiment of Texas Rangers. Was quite affected to see me, inquiring minutely about his former schoolmates and relations still living in his former northern home, and to be sure and tell his relatives of my seeing him should I live to get home.

Last edited:
Back