"None But the Brave...”

James N.

Colonel
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Antietam 2021
... Deserve the Fair."
None But The Brave.jpg

Yesterday while browsing the goods of a dealer at my favorite HUGE monthly flea market I spied this little gem from 1902! Despite the crossed rifles insignia on his cap (ca. 1872 regulations) and the yellow cavalry trim, judging by his "rifle" I think it's pretty likely the Bold Soldier Boy was channeling The War of '61 for his inspiration. And since this was in 1902, it's entirely possible he got the opportunity to live out his Dreams of Glory in the trenches or Flanders' Fields only a short time later. Below is a full view of the stereopticon slide:

1902 Stereo Slide.jpg

I thought it might be one of your Throw Back Thursdays with your first girlfriend :D Great find

I find it interesting how the Ingersoll View Company later published the stereoview as Keystone View Company had been gradually buying out the negative stocks of other stereoview companies for decades. Keystone did not seem to be as keen on half-tone stereoviews, so maybe they had a contract with Ingersoll to make them.

... Deserve the Fair."
View attachment 383431

Yesterday while browsing the goods of a dealer at my favorite HUGE monthly flea market I spied this little gem from 1902! Despite the crossed rifles insignia on his cap (ca. 1872 regulations) and the yellow cavalry trim, judging by his "rifle" I think it's pretty likely the Bold Soldier Boy was channeling The War of '61 for his inspiration. And since this was in 1902, it's entirely possible he got the opportunity to live out his Dreams of Glory in the trenches or Flanders' Fields only a short time later. Below is a full view of the stereopticon slide:

View attachment 383432
I was reading earlier today about the lineage of General Douglas MacArthur, the son of Arthur MacArthur of the famed Missionary Ridge assault in Chattanooga, Nov. 26, 1863. Your caption invoked a certain pride or envy many felt even up through my childhood. I found a quote in "American Caesar" by William Manchester, copyrighted by him in 1978, published by Little, Brown and Company, on page 20, that fits your description so well, I wanted to share it. Douglas had a brother, Arthur III that wrote to a daughter of one of his father's contemporaries in 1916, both having served in the Civil War. This is what he wrote;
"That he is one of those that fearlessly faced the issue and played a man's part in that great epic, the Rebellion, must always be a source of pride to you. To me, of a generation that reaps the result of their manhood, it is always a source of envy."

What is the expression; 'Our youth see the world through rose-tinted glasses'...? A charming picture.
Lubliner.

Back