Besides Stonewall Jackson, did any other units use Noland's Ferry to cross the Potomac?

I came across a reference that Stonewall Jackson used Noland's ferry to cross the Potomac. Does anybody know of others who used this ferry? The crossing is just south of Balls Bluff but I haven't found proof that it was used in that battle.
I believe the Union also used it since the CSA is reported to have destroyed the Potomac bridges, especially the Point of Rocks bridge just north of Noland's Ferry.

I made a trip to Point of Rocks and looked for the Sept. 1862 crossing of Ripley's Brigade but could not find it. It may have been at Nolands Ferry but there was no historical marker (on the Md. side) and there were no C&O Canal park rangers anywhere about that I could ask. I saw no sign anywhere of the old bridge and am guessing that the new bridge was built at the same site. The old bridge had been burnt during the war but I never found any historical documentation on whether the bridge was usable or not in Sept. 1862.

Ripley's Brigade was part of D.H. Hill's division, which was nominally part of Jackson's corps at that time even though Hill's troops were officially detached in the Maryland campaign.

Vote Here:
Back