No Union Reserve at Franklin

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
From my readings on Franklin, it seems, despite how brutal and onesided most of the battle was, there was one point where the Confederates could have achieved victory. That would be the breakthrough against Wagner's Division, poorly positioned by the drunk Wagner in front of the mainline. The chaos of the retreating division rushing back to the Union mainline meant that the main line defenders could not open fire on the Confederates advancing behind the fleeing Union troops. Thus, the brigades of Cleburne's and Brown's Confederate divisions managed to breach the Union center, creating an opening in the line near the Carter House.
However, the day was saved when Colonel Emerson Opdycke, commanding a brigade in Wagner's division and who decided to stay behind the Union main line against Wagner's wishes, counterattacked and pushed the Confederates out of the breach, pushing them back to the forward slopes of the main defenses.
Recently, I've thought to myself: What if Opdycke was with the rest of Wagner's division in his forward position? I doubt that meant Wagner's line would have held, would have been outflanked still. It gives a bigger front for Cheatham's Corps to advance on the main line with minimal losses. And it means Schofield does not have any reserves to plug the breakthrough. I imagine this would leave to the Union lines getting rolled up and routed the Union army, which would have to retreat through the town and across the Pontoons. I imagine a lot of men being caught in the swelll of the retreat and getting lost in the town or possibly one of the pontoons collapsing.
Stewart's Corps would still suffer heavy casualties attacking head on against the Union far left. Still, the Army of the Cumberland could have been neutralized (though not destroyed; T. J. Wood's Division was already across the river, as was Wilson's Cavalry, so they could escape the disaster easily), depleting the potential force Thomas could bring against Hood. Maybe this could result in a much more serious battle around Nashville, possibly even Confederate victory. Wouldn't mean they'd win the war though. By that point, nothing really would.

So, what do yall think? Would Opdycke falling in with Wagner made the battle an assured Confederate victory at Franklin, or would they still lose badly?

Opdyke was not a drunken fool, so he would not have dangled his command outside the lines for no reason. In any case, Opdyke was where he was because his men had marched all night & needed to sit down & get something to eat. He refused to accept orders to do anything else until his men had a break. No reason to believe he would have made a senseless deployment.

If Opdyke had formed his men as a skirmish line, he would have withdrawn them at the proper time. He was not the sort to accept tactically suicidal orders from a drunk.

Opdyke was not a drunken fool, so he would not have dangled his command outside the lines for no reason. In any case, Opdyke was where he was because his men had marched all night & needed to sit down & get something to eat. He refused to accept orders to do anything else until his men had a break. No reason to believe he would have made a senseless deployment.

If Opdyke had formed his men as a skirmish line, he would have withdrawn them at the proper time. He was not the sort to accept tactically suicidal orders from a drunk.
He disobeyed orders and should have been court martialed. 20 lashes in front of his brigade would have taught him the importance of discipline in the army.

Back