No Time Now to Talk of Fatigue: Doles' Georgia Brigade at Gettysburg

(Henry Eyster Jacobs, civilian resident of Gettysburg, 18 years old at time of the battle, son of Dr. Michael Jacobs): "By 5 o'clock that afternoon [July 1], Gettysburg was fully in the enemy's possession. Doles' brigade of Rodes' division, in Ewell's corps, quartered itself in our immediate neighborhood. They tore down all our fences to let the troops pass readily; but the harshest critic would find it difficult to find fault with their conduct. They were Georgians, all gentlemanly, courteous and as considerate of the townspeople as it was possible for men in their possession to be. I saw a whole row of them reading from their pocket testaments. Of course, they breathed fire and fury at their foes; they were full of what they were going to do to the hated North, but they were kind, courteous Christian gentlemen, nonetheless." [Firestorm at Gettysburg, Civilian Voices, by Jim Slade and John Alexander, Atglen, PA: Schiffer Military/Aviation History, 1998, p. 72]

Some other good accounts of Gettysburg from soldiers of the brigade:
-History of the Doles-Cook Brigade, by Henry W. Thomas.
-Journal of Edwin R. Sharpe, D/4 GA, Georgia Historical Society, Digital Public Library of America.
-Letters of Lucius T. C. Lovelace, D/4 GA, War Was the Place, Library of Congress.
-Letters of William J. Underwood, F/4 GA, Underwood and Key Families Papers, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, GA.
-Diary of William Harrison Hodnett, Assistant Surgeon, 4 GA, Georgia Division, UDC, 1940.
-Shepherd Green Pryor Papers, A/12 GA, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Georgia Libraries, Athens, GA.
-Martin W. Brett, F/12 GA, Experiences of a Georgia Boy in the Army of Northern Virginia 1861-1865.
-Official Report of Col. Edward Willis, 12 GA, Southern Historical Society Papers, vol. XVII, 1889, pp. 184-187.
-Letters of a Confederate Surgeon, Dr. Abner Embry McGarity, Assistant Surgeon, 21 GA, reprinted from The Georgia Historical Quarterly.
-Letters of Sidney J. Richardson, I/21 GA, Georgia Division, UDC, vol. X, 1999, pp. 282-283.
-Account of Captain John B. Reese, F/44 GA, The Countryman, September 22, October 6, November 10 and 17, 1863.

Without special knowledge of Gen. Dole: I bet he and the officers he thanked laid the groundwork for his success before July 1st. A Union general C.F. Smith said a good officer prepares for the day of battle every day. That preparation pays off.
Is this an assumption or a fact that they had planned for such event? From reading of the account,it was the junior officers in mist of the battle who saw the opportunities to advance on the enemy and having this and the courageous force to follow him achieved a victory against a superior force.Early's arrival could have prevented the loss of what he achieved.This is not a disagreement just a question of was Dole's movements plan by his staff or again due to his own abilities .with his officers, in leading men and the trust that his command had with him.

Is this an assumption or a fact that they had planned for such event? From reading of the account,it was the junior officers in mist of the battle who saw the opportunities to advance on the enemy and having this and the courageous force to follow him achieved a victory against a superior force.Early's arrival could have prevented the loss of what he achieved.This is not a disagreement just a question of was Dole's movements plan by his staff or again due to his own abilities .with his officers, in leading men and the trust that his cmand had with him.
I think the ANV had cultivated a culture of taking initiative and seizing opportunities. The troops were well trained enough to be able to execute movements quickly.

I think the ANV had cultivated a culture of taking initiative and seizing opportunities. The troops were well trained enough to be able to execute movements quickly.
By "cultivated culture"may I ask what you mean.The previous battles render no indication of this .If you are then this taking and seizing opp. came from the leadership of the the commanding officers, Johnson,Lee,Jackson,Stuart,and members of their staff but in battle the outcome was from those and other factors I have stated.

Back