No Gettysburg Civil War reenactment by GAC in 2020

Claude Bauer

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Gettysburg Anniversary Committee doesn't plan on hosting civil war reenactment in 2020

The Gettysburg Anniversary Committee does not plan on hosting a reenactment in the summer of 2020 because of declining interest, according to Principle and Operations Manager Randy Phiel.

The committee said in a Facebook post that it does not "anticipate organizing or hosting the 157th Anniversary Reenactment."

Phiel said that they reevaluated hosting the event for a multitude of reasons. They include:
  • The risks and dynamics of hosting an outdoor event.
  • The reenactment hobby is decreasing with an aging demographic.
  • Visitor interest is somewhat varied because of the lack of related movies and shows, unlike in the 1990s and early 2000s.
See the full story: https://www.eveningsun.com/story/ne...Ou1x0EaOO-7Sq2k_OGZ-_VgAuzlBA4GGtpGfQs3Cx5bzA

I definitely have mixed feelings about this--on the one hand, I hate to see any major Civil War reenactment canceled for any reason. On the other, I was never a big fan of this particular event. My wife and I went as spectators one year, and it cost a lot for tickets and when the reenactment started, you couldn't see anything unless you bought admission to the bleachers, which was an extra $10. And the reenactment itself was small and kind of lackluster. I did their 150th event as a reenactor--it was a huge event and well run, but I felt odd standing in front of the bleachers for Pickett's Charge.

It may be best at this point to do these big events every 5 years--the Battle of Bentonville, NC for example has always been every 5 years, and it's worked out well for them. On the years in-between, reenactors can hold smaller living history events in and around the battlefield park. Be interesting to see what happens.

I was talking with a fellow at a reenactment, and he said that Gettysburg didn’t treat it’s reenactors all that well. Several venues here in Ohio do things every other year.

Maybe Gettysburg can still make money with their ball??

Mods: Can this thread be merged with the other Gettysburg reenactment thread currently active?

I was talking with a fellow at a reenactment, and he said that Gettysburg didn’t treat it’s reenactors all that well. Several venues here in Ohio do things every other year.

Maybe Gettysburg can still make money with their ball??

Looks like someone is already offering to take over for GAC, although it's unclear what experience he has organizing events. I wish him luck. If he comes up with something compelling, I would take another look at supporting the event.

"A Civil War reenactor is volunteering to take over organizing the Gettysburg reenactment after organizers announced that they didn't anticipate to host the event again in 2020."

Civil War reenactor seeks to save the Gettysburg reenactment in 2020

Surprised to learn of this decision. If the Gettysburg reenactment can't remain viable, how can any of the others?

A reenactment at Gettysburg is quite viable... The GAC run reenactment ceased to be.. Many reenactment groups had bypassed the GAC event, some for many years due to same. It had long been nothing more than a overpriced cowboy powder burning circus. Even those that still went just because it was "Gettysburg" eventually got tired of it and quit going, or found better events to go to. The 150th event drew around 10K participants. Last few years hardly a couple hundred at best, and less each year.

There are several organizations, small groups and individuals that are exploring the possibility of filling that vacuum left by GAC... Likely will be a significant challenge for anyone. Large scale spectator events now cost a lot more than they did even five years ago... A good amount of seed/sponsor funds would be needed in advance to build an event of this size. GAC has/had members that were also on the local town council where approval and permits would have to pass, which also ensured GAC remained rooted in place as long as they did.

The hobby is evolving as it always has. It also typically runs in cycles and ups and down periods, thats nothing new. Many have leaned away from the funnel cake circuses for better more authentic and commemorative type of programs and events. GAC retained the same goofy event model they always used and failed to evolve nor improve along with the rest of the hobby. When you dont... it will eventually die.. Lots of other events that once were out there that were a popular annual mainstay... that also eventually died for similar if not same reasons.

Mods: Can this thread be merged with the other Gettysburg reenactment thread currently active?

Mine was first!!!!!:bounce:

Joking aside, its interesting to me how there seems to be a concerted effort to save it so soon. I figured a year or two at least, at least to make folks miss it, (not necessarily GAC from the horror stories I've heard), but as for the reenactor trying to do it already I hope and pray he can make it go and wish him luck on top of that. Huge undertaking on his part, perhaps I should try to go to a Gettysburg event one day.

As I previously predicted that the vacuum left by GAC would certainly spawn several new horses to enter that race... Twas true. Besides the G'burg mentioned above, we also now have the "GBPA" (Gettysburg Battlefield Preservation Association) that has also now stepped up to the plate with another competing event to be held at the Lady Daniel Farm near G'burg. This one actually had been started underway much earlier than the Heisey event, but just recently released their public announcement about it. Many are a bit skeptical since this GBPA organization has many of the same GAC leaders and players now working under that banner. Which of course has folks wondering if this new product branding will just be another version of the usual GAC event model that was not much more than a circus... or something actually new and different.. Also since GAC folks have had a strong hold upon the local political circles for decades, which makes it quite difficult for anyone else to gain permits to do anything, will certainly be a challenge for possible competitors. Both appear to be actively courting the same larger umbrella reenactment organizations to commit to theirs.. Most thus far have mentioned a wait and see attitude... Soooo... the Tale of Two Gettysburgs may be repeating itself... again...

Back