Nice Artillery shell recovered

jpro

Corporal
Last Saturday was blessed to recover a nice complete Federal
3” Hotchkiss shell
This was found in Nashville Tn where the Federal Union artillery over shot a Confederate battery on the 2nd day during the Battle of Nashville
Note: percussion fuse
Still active

45648F53-67B7-4BF0-B00E-9301F9A72D1B.jpeg

bdtex

Major General
★★ Sr. Moderator
Silver Patron
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018 Vicksburg 2019
Outstanding. Looks to have been fairly deep.

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
So, what are you going to do with an active shell? Other than not let the bomb squad have a look-see?
It appear to have a metal fuse adapter for a paper fuse in it's nose which will make it easier to render safe. Also, there are people in the area which have experience in removing the power from the shell.

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Nice Shell, If you need someone to disarm and preserve it let me know. Could you post a photo of the nose?

jpro

Corporal
Nice Shell, If you need someone to disarm and preserve it let me know. Could you post a photo of the nose?
Thanks
I dropped it off at Larry H in M’boro. He’ll drill it for me.
Its a percussion fuse -typical hotchkiss brass fuse w screwed in anvil cap at the nose. Has a percussion cap that sets on the plunger etc etc

jpro

Corporal
It appear to have a metal fuse adapter for a paper fuse in it's nose which will make it easier to render safe. Also, there are people in the area which have experience in removing the power from the shell.
Percussion fuse not a paper time fuse. You’re right if a paper fuse I’d drill right through. Going through the body on this one and leave brass fuse intact

Belfoured

2nd Lieutenant
Thanks
Its a percussion fuse -typical hotchkiss brass fuse w screwed in anvil cap at the nose. Has a percussion cap that sets on the plunger etc etc
Somebody needs to file a consumer fraud claim on the fuze :smoke:

ucvrelics

Colonel
Forum Host
Regtl. Quartermaster Shiloh 2020
Thanks
really, he is a good friend and will do great job but he just had an issue with a boreman and was who i was referring to in a post earlier so we shall see.