DSCN0733.JPG

DSCN0734.JPG

DSCN0735.JPG

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0738.JPG

DSCN0740.JPG

DSCN0742.JPG

Show that musket some love and put some oil on it's metal, and a little wax on it's stock. It's a nice piece. I especially like the spread eagle stamping on the end of it's bolster. It's a nice touch.

Great photos of a classic. Thanks for sharing your Colt musket with us.

Show that musket some love and put some oil on it's metal, and a little wax on it's stock. It's a nice piece. I especially like the spread eagle stamping on the end of it's bolster. It's a nice touch.

Did you oil it in the process of photographing it? The last couple of photos don't seem to show much of that light red rust. If it's just a trick of the light, then I agree with @Booner: Get to work oh-so-gently. No abrasives! Your piece is in excellent condition! I am especially impressed by the lack of corrosion around the hammer and nipple, and by the lack of damage to the screw slots. Your musket almost appears to be unused. I think it's a wonderful firearm!

Nice looking Colt just needs a little care.
Welcome to CWT from the Smoky Mountain side of North Carolina. Just jump right in and enjoy.

Did you oil it in the process of photographing it? The last couple of photos don't seem to show much of that light red rust. If it's just a trick of the light, then I agree with @Booner: Get to work oh-so-gently. No abrasives! Your piece is in excellent condition! I am especially impressed by the lack of corrosion around the hammer and nipple, and by the lack of damage to the screw slots. Your musket almost appears to be unused. I think it's a wonderful firearm!
It's just the lighting. I haven't tried using anything on the stock or metal. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I'm a 45+ year collector of military firearms, owning examples from all nations and ages. I do conserve and preserve but mostly leave things alone. What's the general consensus, no harm done using a little oil here and there on CW weapons?

I'd like to find one that nice...
I got very lucky. I went into a gun store I know looking for an original M1861 bayonet. I have an M1864 that I’ve not managed to find a bayonet that fits it & I still haven’t. He had only one left and I mentioned my problem and Ralph said let’s see if it fits this one.

I saw the price tag and it was a shut up and take my money moment. Plus I came away with a bayonet that fit it.

It was completely coated in a thin varnish which concealed some flaws. Plus the inside of the barrel was filthy.

I got it home and used some Hoppes to clean the inside of the barrel and some dribble went down the barrel and cut through the varnish. Just wiping it with a paper towel cleaned it off. That exposed a masterpiece of wood repair someone had done to repair a break at the wrist. Even knowing it’s there it’s tough to find the work.

The nipple has had too much dry firing done and needs to be replaced. I’m not relishing that. I’ve spent since added an M1861 Whitney that is pretty much as issued. The wife is unhappy with that purchase so I’m on a two year hiatus from buying any new boom sticks.

I got very lucky. I went into a gun store I know looking for an original M1861 bayonet. I have an M1864 that I’ve not managed to find a bayonet that fits it & I still haven’t. He had only one left and I mentioned my problem and Ralph said let’s see if it fits this one.

I saw the price tag and it was a shut up and take my money moment. Plus I came away with a bayonet that fit it.

It was completely coated in a thin varnish which concealed some flaws. Plus the inside of the barrel was filthy.

I got it home and used some Hoppes to clean the inside of the barrel and some dribble went down the barrel and cut through the varnish. Just wiping it with a paper towel cleaned it off. That exposed a masterpiece of wood repair someone had done to repair a break at the wrist. Even knowing it’s there it’s tough to find the work.

The nipple has had too much dry firing done and needs to be replaced. I’m not relishing that. I’ve spent since added an M1861 Whitney that is pretty much as issued. The wife is unhappy with that purchase so I’m on a two year hiatus from buying any new boom sticks.
I put a mini flashlight, facing up, on a piece of thread down the bore for inspection. It works pretty well.

I put a mini flashlight, facing up, on a piece of thread down the bore for inspection. It works pretty well.
Autozone sells a very thin flashlight that is quite bright for $10 I clip it to the barrel and it's bright enough to see all the way to the bore. Problem is the replacement battery costs more than the flashlight and they don't always have them in stock.

Back