Newton Knight – abolitionist guerilla leader in Mississippi

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
By Paul Wilcox
Jan 08, 2017

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to Facebook137Share to Google BookmarkShare to TwitterShare to More9
freestateofjones.jpg

Ever hear the name Newton Knight, or the First Alabama Calvary? Not likely. The capitalist media, books, movies and TV, have always promoted stories of “former Confederate soldiers” who loyally served the Confederacy, just loved Gen. Robert E. Lee, had no issue with slavery and so on. But there is another story, a hidden history, of poor white opposition to the Confederacy and to slavery.

More: https://www.liberationnews.org/newton-knight-abolitionist-guerilla-leader-in-mississippi/

AshleyMel

Sergeant Major
Interesting article. I haven't seen the movie. Not sure if I'm remembering everything off the top of my head about the some of facts - I'd have to refresh my memory.

leftyhunter

Colonel
By Paul Wilcox
Jan 08, 2017

AddThis Sharing Buttons
freestateofjones.jpg

Ever hear the name Newton Knight, or the First Alabama Calvary? Not likely. The capitalist media, books, movies and TV, have always promoted stories of “former Confederate soldiers” who loyally served the Confederacy, just loved Gen. Robert E. Lee, had no issue with slavery and so on. But there is another story, a hidden history, of poor white opposition to the Confederacy and to slavery.

More: https://www.liberationnews.org/newton-knight-abolitionist-guerilla-leader-in-mississippi/
We already have some good threads on old Newt. Maybe we can combine them. One of our posters had a lot of ORs from Confederate officials about Newt Knight.
Leftyhunter

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
There are a number of threads in the Book and Movie Review Tent on this website relating to the "Free State of Jones" movie. The movie came out in June 2016, so the threads are concentrated between June and the next few months thereafter.

leftyhunter

Colonel
By Paul Wilcox
Jan 08, 2017

AddThis Sharing Buttons
freestateofjones.jpg

The article lacks sources. It asserts that the 1st Alabama Cavalry Union was integrated. I would like to see a source on that. The U.S. military was not officially integrated until 1948 and a few oldtimers from that era told me it was not exactly a Kumbayah experience. Unionist troops were not overly friendly to Afro Americans.
Other then the above the article is accurate.
Leftyhunter

Joshism

Sergeant Major
I'm inherently suspicious of someone who in the second sentence blames something on the "capitalist media."

leftyhunter

Colonel
I'm inherently suspicious of someone who in the second sentence blames something on the "capitalist media."
Nothing wrong with being skeptical about the media. If this article inspires people to learn more about Newt Knight that would be great. It may be true that the above publication has a limited readership. Then again so did the Bible and Communist Manifesto.
Leftyhunter