1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Newspapers accounts of Stonewall Jackson's two funerals - something is amiss

Discussion in 'Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson' started by E_just_E, Oct 19, 2016.

1. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

You and your timelines. Lol

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bee

Bee 1st Lieutenant Asst. Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017

First laugh of the day (a little late) --> goes to @War Horse

That brick of a book is winking at me from the shelf :smile:

Nathanb1 and War Horse like this.
  4. E_just_E

E_just_E Captain Forum Host

You have not seen the tip of my timeline iceberg, my friend :wink:
    Got to read the official Union reports to newspaper correspondents on July 3, 1863 from Meade's HQs at 5:00 PM and 7:15 PM coming (kinda) shortly to a place near you...

War Horse likes this.
  5. War Horse

War Horse Captain Forum Host Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner Regtl. Quartermaster Gettysburg 2017 Member of the Year

I'm not sure I understand this. I can tell you my father told me a story once. He fought in WWII and never spoke of it. When he told me the story, it was like he was there again. Sometimes, bullets, blood and death sear a memory into someone's mind and they can recall the details accurately for the rest of their life.

Nathanb1, FarawayFriend and Bee like this.
  6. E_just_E

E_just_E Captain Forum Host

Agreed. Individual perspectives esp. traumatic events are ingrained and they are always there. And in a weird way that our brains work the details are there (like what shoes one was wearing or what color was their shirt or or or) but the bigger picture tends to fade after time and when people are asked about the bigger picture, they even say they do not know, or they use commonly accepted material about what happened in the bigger picture.

FarawayFriend and War Horse like this.
  7. War Horse

No argument here. Most were not aware of the big picture to begin with.

FarawayFriend likes this.
  8. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

As the Jackson House in Lexington was mentioned, if I remember correctly what the guide there told us it stood empty after Jackson's death as Anna had preferred to live with her family. It slowly started to decay when the local UDC chapter thought something must be done about it. They knew that Anna would never sell the house that Jackson had bought more or less for her. So they told her the house was needed because Lexington needed a hospital. Anna would not refuse to sell the house if others could be helped, so she agreed. The UDC had not intended to use it as a hospital at first but wanted to establish a museum, but now they felt they had cheated Anna on that and decided that the house would indeed better be used as a hospital. And so it was.

James N. likes this.
  9. Nathanb1

Nathanb1 Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host Retired Moderator

chellers, War Horse, James N. and 2 others like this.
  10. J. Horace

J. Horace Corporal

Here is a letter Smith wrote about accompanying Mrs. Jackson to Lexington and North Carolina after Stonewall's death:

jacksonswife.jpg jacksonswife2.jpg

11. TerryB

TerryB Major

Henry Kyd Douglas is the source for the lemons.

J. Horace and War Horse like this.
  12. SharonS

SharonS Private

As far as I can tell, Richard Taylor was first (and certainly most complete) with the lemon story. He claims in Destruction and Reconstruction that Jackson's diet during the Valley Campaign consisted of hard tack, lemons, and water. Taylor often seemed more interested in being colorful than in being accurate, though. He certainly was colorful--he obsessed about Jackson's "huge feet."

J. Horace, James N. and War Horse like this.
  13. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

We visited Jackson's headquarters, a lovely house he shared for a brief time with his wife, in Winchester a couple of summers ago. Our tour guide was a very elderly lady who was a devoted Jackson fan. She cautioned us that the lemon stories were greatly exaggerated. Nonetheless, we found his grave with numerous lemons strewn about in tribute later that day.

Nathanb1, J. Horace and War Horse like this.
  14. War Horse

Do you recall the name of the house?

15. SharonS

SharonS Private

The headquarters house in Winchester (the one currently operated a museum) was originally called "Alta Vista." I think it's now exclusively called Jackson's Headquarters.

J. Horace, War Horse and Eleanor Rose like this.
  16. TerryB

TerryB Major

And it was Douglas who said TJ used one like a baton during a battle, pointing with it, gesticulating, getting all excited, etc.

J. Horace and James N. like this.
  17. Eleanor Rose

Eleanor Rose Sergeant Major

SharonS is correct. It's now known as The Stonewall Jackson's Headquarters Museum. It's located at 415 North Braddock Street in the Historic District of Winchester. It is loaded with fantastic memorabilia. Our tour guide actually let us touch some of the items which was somewhat shocking. Sadly she was not a General Longstreet fan. I bit my tongue a lot!

J. Horace, James N. and War Horse like this.
  18. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I am envious regarding all who got to see the Stonewall Headquarters. It was on my A list when we were in Winchester but, they close at 4:00 pm so we couldn't get there because we were on the road seeing places like Antietam. I was seriously bummed not to see it (and also not to see the Patsy Cline house, which also closed at 4:00). Did I mention I'm bummed I didn't get to see the Stonewall Headquarters ?

Nathanb1, J. Horace, James N. and 3 others like this.
  19. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Alta Vista in May, 2015 during my last visit there:

[​IMG]

20. AndyHall

AndyHall Colonel Forum Host

It's not very unusual that Anna would not be mentioned by name in that period. I was researching a murder that happened a few decades previously, in which the husband ambushed and killed a man who was having an affair with his wife, and the woman is invariably referred to as "Mrs. ________," never with a first or maiden name. And she's the turning point of the whole, sordid story. It's very frustrating for anyone trying to track these people through various records.

J. Horace, Eleanor Rose and James N. like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)