News Articles from 1862 About Battle of Hampton Roads

gentlemanrob

Major
The following were articles from 1862 about Hampton Roads

Hampton Roads.jpg

Battle of Hampton Roads 1.jpg

Battle of Hampton Roads 2.jpg

Battle of Hampton Roads 3.jpg

Notice that the Pilot onboard the Cumberland stated that the battle lasted 3/4 of an hour, and that she gave the Virginia her pivot guns, then 'six to eight broadsides', before she was rammed. She did not sink instantly, but kept firing a considerable time afterwards and fired 'constantly'. This was at odds with Lieutenant Selfridge's account, who complained that the Virginia attacked her bow on, who only the forward pivot and one broadside gun run out the bridle port would bear, and that the Cumberland fired only three broadsides, but even they, only after the ironclad had withdrawn.

49704666386_dd09fd703a_b.jpg
cumberland2_1webwater2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Last edited:
I also noticed the mention of maneuverability of the Merrimac responding;
"She came up at the rate of four or five Knots per hour...She appeared to obey her helm, and was readily handled, making all her movements and evolutions with apparent facility and readiness."
Lubliner.

Notice that the Pilot onboard the Cumberland stated that the battle lasted 3/4 of an hour, and that she gave the Virginia her pivot guns, then 'six to eight broadsides', before she was rammed. She did not sink instantly, but kept firing a considerable time afterwards and fired 'constantly'. This was at odds with Lieutenant Selfridge's account, who complained that the Virginia attacked her bow on, who only the forward pivot and one broadside gun run out the bridle port would bear, and that the Cumberland fired only three broadsides, but even they, only after the ironclad had withdrawn.

View attachment 393805cumberland2_1webwater2 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr
This picture is a decent representation and I enjoyed reading your interpretation, however, my only gripe is that the terrain in the background isn't accurate to the Hampton Roads area. Lots of artists seem to believe this area is bluffy and hilly with forested crests for some reason, while in reality it is, and always has been quite flat.

Back