Newly Unearthed Civil War Bones Speak Silently to the Grim Aftermath of Battle.

Of course, the Federals did the same thing, as recounted in my thread on Shiloh's confederate burial trenches:
With the exception of Chickamauga, the Army of the Cumberland was left in command of the field after every battle with the Army of Tennessee. After Missionary Ridge, AoC soldiers were disgusted to find the Union dead from Chicamagua still laying where they fell. The characteristic command disfunction of the AoT had not arranged burial details for the Union dead. That was considered a great moral failure. Confederate dead had been given soldier's burials the same as their own by the AoC.
There are ghoul maps that documented where trench burials were made on the battle field. Elliot's map of the Gettysburg battlefield is, perhaps the best known. Contractors were paid a fixed rate per body to bury the dead of both sides. They had to document the number & location of the bodies in order to get paid.

ghoul map gettysburg.jpg

Modern scholars have used the ghoul maps to reevaluate the narrative of how the battle's were fought. That was especially true at Shiloh. At Gettysburg, the ghoul map showed how Pickett's men piled up behind the fence in front of the stone wall, which rewrote the history of that fight.

I apologize for not replying sooner @Yankee Brooke There was another thread on this same subject a while back and I thought this one was the same. There's a great youtube video about this from the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. Superintendent Brandon Bies of the Manassas National Battlefield Park presented a talk entitled “Broken Lives and Shattered Bones: Discovering a Field Hospital at Manassas Battlefield.” Brandon Bies discussed the 2015 excavation of a Civil War “Limb Pit” discovered on the grounds of the Second Battle of Bull Run. The archaeological find sheds new light on how battlefield surgery took place during the American Civil War.
Thank you! I have added that video to my watch list!

There is also a CSPAN video about it

Back