In the Field Newer relics at Civil War battlefields.

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Of and on Civil War veterans held reunions at some of the Civil War battlefields. After the Civil War, Army units some times camped at old battlefields and as did boy scouts. So I was wondering if relics from a latter period as found at Civil War sites

Vadigger

Cadet
Found this GAR (Grand Army of the Republic) button sometime ago not in a battle field but at a campsite about a mile from one. I guess he came back to visit years later.

F0776EEA-52BD-4018-BC35-5F62F9615618.jpeg

VaGent

Cadet
I know of a large GAR camp site less than 1 mile from Bottom's Bridge in New Kent Va. Everyone that went digging there found at least one GAR button, I found mine maybe 10 years ago there. Too bad its covered in modern houses now.

VaGent

Cadet
I know that when I worked at Petersburg National Battlefield. We found 30.06 cases, M-1 clips and a WWII hand grenade. It was live too. Our site was part of probably what was a WWI and WWII rifle range. We also found some Civil War relics there. Not many though.
When you leave the vistor center, cross 460 going into the park, all the trenchs on the left there are part of a WW1 trench warfare training area. Supposedly they did a lot of live fire there.