New York State Monument, Gettysburg Veterans Medal July, 1893

An item I purchased recently. Approx. 11000 were minted at the US Philadelphia Mint to be distributed to any NY veteran who served at Battle of Gettysburg. It is made of heavy bronze approx. 40mm in diameter. They were distributed July 1,2 &3, 1893 at the dedication of the monument. Enjoy

Gettysburg Vet, NY Monument Dedication 1893  #1.jpg

Gettysburg Vet, NY Monument Dedication 1893  #2.jpg

Gettysburg Vet, NY Monument Dedication 1893  #3.jpg

Very Nice and the ribbon looks mint.

One of my favorite medals. I read someplace that they made 3 different medals. One had no ribbon. Mine is like yours which belonged to Adelbert Jones 97th NY. Nice find !

Regretfully no name on this one. Ribbon is what it came with so maybe somewhere in it's lifetime it was changed out. I believe i read that they were issued on all three days, maybe that is where the idea of three medals started. The banner has July 1,2,3 1863 so same medal for all dates. I wonder if any other states did something similar at their dedication of monument for their state.

Regretfully no name on this one. Ribbon is what it came with so maybe somewhere in it's lifetime it was changed out. I believe i read that they were issued on all three days, maybe that is where the idea of three medals started. The banner has July 1,2,3 1863 so same medal for all dates. I wonder if any other states did something similar at their dedication of monument for their state.

20210901_084735.jpg

20210901_084656.jpg

Coin is from the 75th anniversary 1938. The medal is 50th anniversary 1913 Meade and Lee. Stereo view Wisconsin Berdan's Sharpshooter's monument.

View attachment 412845
Coin is from the 75th anniversary 1938. The medal is 50th anniversary 1913 Meade and Lee. Stereo view Wisconsin Berdan's Sharpshooter's monument.

View attachment 412845
Upper left medal is a New York State Monument dedicated July 2nd 1893. Bottom left 1863-1893 30th. anniversary also for July 2nd Monument dedication. Paper and lower right medal Wisconsin 50th anniversary . These all belonged to Adelbert Jones 97th NY. who moved to Fond Du Lac Wis. after the war. I believe this is more accurate, Thanks John

Last edited:
Upper left medal is a New York 50th anniversary monument. Bottom left 25th. anniversary . Paper and lower right medal Wisconsin 50th anniversary . These all belonged to Adelbert Jones 97th NY. who moved to Fond Du Lac Wis. after the war.
Just to clarify, you say top left is 50 anniversary of the 1893 monument and that would make that one 1943. That seems strange in the middle of WW2. The bottom left you say 25th anniversary, but the medal is dated 1863-1893 which was the dedication of the monument and would be 30th anniversary of the Battle. Was there another one issued in 1918 for the anniversary of the monument?

Back