New Year Recruit

Fifth Iowa

Private
I’m beginning the new year right, by enlisting in your ranks here at Civil War Talk. I have two major historical interests. The first is Imperial Rome, particularly as it corresponds to the first centuries of Christianity. My second historical focus is on the war between the states. I host two regimental websites, one for the Fifth Iowa Cavalry, the other for the Fifth Iowa Infantry. My ggf served in the former, and my wife’s gggf served in the latter. This coincidence is even more interesting in light of the fact that when the Infantry regiment completed their three years of service, the men who chose to reenlist (alas, not including her ancestor) were actually “consolidated” with the Fifth Iowa Cavalry. I look forward to participating in your conversations during the years ahead.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JohnW in E.TN

Corporal
Welcome Rob! Very glad to have you here. I think you and I have several of the same interests. I am fascinated with Rome, and the spread of Christianity, as well as the state of Christendom today.

I just received a copy of the writings of Josephus. I have also been doing some reading on the mysterious catastrophe of 535 A.D., and its effect on the whole world.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and I hope you'll post often.

Regards,

John W.

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Hello, Fifth Iowa. Happy New Year, and welcome to the website.

Hope you'll enjoy it here in the coming year and many years thereafter.

larry_cockerham

Southern Gentleman, Lest We Forget, 2011
Honored Fallen Comrade
Fifth Iowa, welcome to a great group of antagonists! Yes, there are some calm ones in the group as well. Greetings to you in Iowa last home of my great-great grandfather James Patterson Cockerham, farrier with the 10th TN Cavalry US under Edward Hatch. James rests in Mitchell County just east of McIntyre.

Fifth Iowa

Private
Welcomes

What a grand collection of welcomes... and some interesting "similarities" to boot. Common interests in the early history of Christianity, greetings from Texas (where you have to live at least once if you're a member of the Air Force--I was stationed at Reese AFB outside of Lubbock back in the eighties), kinfolk from Iowa (never lived there myself, the family had migrated from Nebraska on to Idaho which my dad considered home), and even greetings from a former CSSP! Amazing. (For those unacquainted with the acronym, it means Shane was a member of Air Force Chaplain Service too.) Small world.

gary

Captain
Hello Fifth Iowa and welcome to the forum. Now, that tidbit about the 5th Iowa Inf. reenlisting (probably as Veteran Volunteers) into the 5th Iowa Cavalry is something new. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your posts.

Calicoboy

Corporal
Huzzah

A hearty welcome to you 5th Iowa. I, too am interested in Roman history; but I prefer the pre-imperial era. Huzzah from a Calicoboy of the 6th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.

Calicoboy

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
As a further note 5th IA also included Brackett's Battalion... an all MN Cav unit.

Most of my CW kin were in IA Cav units 5 actually, only one chose Inf another ended up in a IL Inf outfit and one way out east in Vermont.

dawna

First Sergeant
Fifth Iowa:

A warm welcome and I'm certain you'll enjoy your stay. I too share your interest in Rome.

Dawna

hoosier

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
Fifth Iowa, I've noticed that your posts tend to be difficult to read, because I have to keep scrolling over to the right to read the end of one line and then back to the left to read the beginning of the next.

I have a suspicion that this is because you have entered a vastly lengthier description of your location than anybody else ever has, and the window for each of your posts elongates so that your location fits on one line.

Could you please consider going back to your profile and shortening that description somewhat?

milhistbuff1

Sergeant
5th IA welcome, Always nice to get a new military/religious perspective on things. Happy New Yr. I share your love of ancient Rome but focus mainly on the military aspects.
Matt

Fifth Iowa

Private
Hospitality

Thanks, everyone, for the additional welcomes. Got a couple of responses to some of your comments:
hoosier:I have a suspicion that this is because you have entered a vastly lengthier description of your location than anybody else ever has...”-- My wife has always considered me “unique” and... a bit loquacious. Coincidentally, I had already abbreviated the location line before reading your suggestion today. I had not noticed that it appeared on the posts, and originally input it thinking it would just appear on my profile page.

Gary:(probably as Veteran Volunteers)...” -- You’re correct. The majority reenlisted and were consolidated with the cavalry as Veteran Volunteers. There were also a number of troopers who were transferred because they had not yet completed their initial enlistments.

Calicoboy:I prefer the pre-imperial era...” -- Republican Rome certainly has its own virtues. AncientSites www.ancientsites.com hosts conversation about ancient civilizations. Years ago, its predecessor site saw significant traffic. Nowadays it seems sadly quiet. Not quite like the dynamic discussions here...

Johan Steele:As a further note 5th IA also included Brackett's Battalion... an all MN Cav unit.” -- Very true. The Fifth Iowa was, I believe, one of the most diversely constituted regiments in the entire war. Four states were strongly represented http://www.scriptoriumnovum.com/c/states.html. When Brackett’s Battalion (Companies G, I & K) was “released” from the regiment for service on the frontier, the Fifth Infantry transferred formed the “new” Companies G & I. There was no Company K in the regiment the final year of its existence.

rivrrat: “Welcome from... a USN vet.” -- I’ve visited the Vietnam memorial at NAB Coronado http://www.vummf.org/photos.htm and will stop by for a few moments when I’m there again later this month. Coincidentally, just today I saw for the first time a Vietnam Service Medal bumper sticker with a “Patrol Boat River” superimposed on it. Quite impressive http://swiftboats.org/shipsstore/catalog.html.

dawna: “I too share your interest in Rome.” -- Nice to see a Canadian in the community here. As you know better than I, many of your countrymen served in the war here. You have a lovely country too, btw, although I’ve only been fortunate enough to visit BC a couple of times.

milhistbuff1: “I share your love of ancient Rome but focus mainly on the military aspects.” -- They are fascinating, aren’t they. You might be interested in the Society of Ancient Military Historians. Academicians basically, of course, but the newsletter is interesting... although I realize now that my own subscription never caught up with me after my latest military move. [url="http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rrice/samh.html"]http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rrice/samh.html[/url]

Thanks again, everyone.

FSPowers

Cadet
A great welcome from Texas.

As a Christian, an amatuer historian, and a member of the USAF Reserves (433 Airlift Wing, Lackland) I look forward to your posts.

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!