Sherman New William T. Sherman Forum

Every time I see that photo of Sherman, I think to myself about how he must have just woke up out of bed and someone said let's go and grab a few pictures. He could have at least spit in his hand and rubbed it down like our mom's used to do.

I think he looks pretty dapper in the photo I chose as my avatar. It dates some time between 1866 and 1869

Really happy to see this. Sherman is fascinating, plus he and Grant had a remarkable partnership.

And if you think I'm goofy about those two, Charles Bracelen Flood beats me by a country mile (check out the subtitle):
upload_2014-7-10_22-55-7.jpeg

Every time I see that photo of Sherman, I think to myself about how he must have just woke up out of bed and someone said let's go and grab a few pictures. He could have at least spit in his hand and rubbed it down like our mom's used to do.
Hey, Grant and Lee had "flyaway hair" as well -- and for hair sticking out all over the place, nobody can top Lincoln.

Hey, Grant and Lee had "flyaway hair" as well -- and for hair sticking out all over the place, nobody can top Lincoln.
Their wives were neither there nor consulted. Mine is constantly on my tail about getting a haircut, but the more she kvetches, the less inclined I am to get one. Meanwhile, I can't wear black for the shedding.

You're not going to believe this but I had no clue Sherman was another That Guy - for long time, too! He was the guy who achieved The March and Grant's best buddy- bumped into those conversations, was astonished! Yes, go ahead and laugh, it's fine, only bringing it up because you read the Forrest forum, never know he's That Guy either. It's doable, thanks for taking it on!

I'm guessing the intermittent kabooms will occur when Google searches find us- you know, guerillas come down from the mountains who have been there since the war.

There's a good thread- which generals LIKED having their photos taken, and how good were they? Or how short.

Really happy to see this. Sherman is fascinating, plus he and Grant had a remarkable partnership.

And if you think I'm goofy about those two, Charles Bracelen Flood beats me by a country mile (check out the subtitle):
View attachment 41540

I read that just a few weeks ago - it is good! He doesn't go into some things but his focus is on their friendship during the war. I've sometimes thought of the mirror images in this war. Grant and Sherman were like Lee and Jackson. If Lee said 'jump' Jackson would be on his way up before the second letter sounded!

You're not going to believe this but I had no clue Sherman was another That Guy - for long time, too! He was the guy who achieved The March and Grant's best buddy- bumped into those conversations, was astonished! Yes, go ahead and laugh, it's fine, only bringing it up because you read the Forrest forum, never know he's That Guy either. It's doable, thanks for taking it on!

I'm guessing the intermittent kabooms will occur when Google searches find us- you know, guerillas come down from the mountains who have been there since the war.

There's a good thread- which generals LIKED having their photos taken, and how good were they? Or how short.
LOL.

Those Guys.

Forrest and Sherman.

I can easily see them shaking hands and enjoying a steak dinner together after the game.

Oh what it would have been like, . . . to be a fly on the wall . . . if those two got together after the War.

Last edited:
Have you ever noticed how unkempt these guys usually look, hair sticking up everywhere and often filthy looking? You might think the photographer might suggest the use of a comb. Then again, from the look on Sherman's face, I guess I wouldn't be suggesting anything either!

Love all these new bio forums.

Now all we need is one for Longstreet.

Yes, you read that right, I actually have a soft spot for at least one Southern general! (Well, he was best man at Grant's wedding....)
I like Longstreet, too! If he had been in charge I think the Confederates might have won. Maybe........or not.

LOL.

Those Guys.

Forrest and Sherman.

I can easily see them shaking hands and enjoying a steak dinner together after the game.

Oh what it would have been like, . . . to be a fly on the wall . . . if those two got together after the War.

According to Sherman, they did meet again after the war. Ummm... Well, Forrest wasn't ready to have dinner with Sherman - he'd just been to the Congressional hearing where Sherman had proclaimed they were there to hang him! Sometimes, though, I wonder if Forrest - watching Sherman march through Georgia and all - thought about that encounter at Fallen Timbers in the mud puddle. If only I'd capped him in Tennessee.... !

Back