New William T. Sherman Forum

According to Sherman, they did meet again after the war. Ummm... Well, Forrest wasn't ready to have dinner with Sherman - he'd just been to the Congressional hearing where Sherman had proclaimed they were there to hang him! Sometimes, though, I wonder if Forrest - watching Sherman march through Georgia and all - thought about that encounter at Fallen Timbers in the mud puddle. If only I'd capped him in Tennessee.... !
I did not know that.
I will defer to the expert & retract the statement . . . Your Honor. :smile:

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

diane

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
I did not know that.
I will defer to the expert & retract the statement . . . Your Honor. :smile:
Lol! Maybe after a while he'd have had that steak with Sherman. Forrest usually found grudges too heavy to carry long. He didn't care much for him, though. He'd trashed Tennessee and Mississippi pretty thoroughly, burned up the home town he was raised in and targeted his very large family. Sherman had made the war darn personal for Forrest!

Have you ever noticed how unkempt these guys usually look, hair sticking up everywhere and often filthy looking? You might think the photographer might suggest the use of a comb. Then again, from the look on Sherman's face, I guess I wouldn't be suggesting anything either!
Agreed.... he's got that look and I'd not want to mess with him either.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)