New Video on the Battle of the Crater from Civil War Trust

The Civil War Trust has a new video on the Battle of the Crater at Petersburg in 1864. The video highlights the role of United States Colored Troops in the Battle. Douglas Ullman, Jr. speaks with National Battlefield Guide Emmanuel Dabney and author Kevin Levin for this CWT War Department video.
Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see a longer, more detailed video, but as an introduction- or for someone with just a passing interest, this is great.

The Civil War Trust has a new video on the Battle of the Crater at Petersburg in 1864. The video highlights the role of United States Colored Troops in the Battle. Douglas Ullman, Jr. speaks with National Battlefield Guide Emmanuel Dabney and author Kevin Levin for this CWT War Department video.
I remember seeing the Battle of the Crater in the movie Cold Mountain if i recall it correctly.

I thought it was an excellent presentation as a basic introduction to the topic. As to the subject of captured Union prisoners, my great-great grandfather Adj. William B. Phillips of the 2nd. PA Provisional Artillery was one of 6 officers in his regiment to be taken prisoner and paraded through the streets of Petersburg, intermingled with captured Colored Troops. Most of the enlisted prisoners were sent to Libby Prison in Richmond and the officers were sent to the Richland Jail and/or Camp Asylum in Columbia, SC.

Last edited:
I remember seeing the Battle of the Crater in the movie Cold Mountain if i recall it correctly.
Yep-- its in Cold Mountain. Don Troiani acted as a consultant for historical accuracy, and if I recall correctly, Mr. Troiani mentions in an interview somewhere how he was really disappointed that they ended up cutting tons of footage with all sorts of painstaking attention to detail (just like his paintings).

Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see a longer, more detailed video, but as an introduction- or for someone with just a passing interest, this is great.
I think that CWT is trying to make videos that are both accurate and that capture the attention of the younger folks in the general public.

I think that CWT is trying to make videos that are both accurate and that capture the attention of the younger folks in the general public.
Thanks for your response.
They've met that objective in this video. Those in our society- particularly younger people- have such a short attention span nowadays. anything more than a few minutes or a couple of pages does not hold attention.

It was fascinated, never knew much about the battle, now i am wondering what would happen if the color troops did indeed lead the charge.

I really enjoyed this video. I worked at Petersburg and the Crater was a big part of it. I still remember Crater Day, when the SCV would honor the CSA soldiers who fought at the Crater. I would like to think that today all of the soldiers who fought there would be honored. It was a pretty solemn event.

I'll be watching the video with great interest, as I just bought Slotkin's book on the battle. As I mentioned in another recent thread, Lt. Colonel John Hodges of Salem MA commanded the 59th MA Infantry, part of Bartlett's ill-fated brigade, that day. He was KIA by shrapnel from a confederate shell while leaning against the edge of the crater and nursing a fresh wound. According to a letter received shortly after John's death by John's brother, Captain Thorndike Hodges, the watch shown in the linked thread was recovered from John's pocket by his comrades in arms. I cherish it.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/greetings-to-all-from-pittsburgh-pa.113291/#post-1115717

Last edited:
Back